TR Jack Frost 1-2-08 with photos

I pulled into the lot around 12:00 to find a busy parking lot and I had to drive around a few times to find a decent spot. I booted up, got my ticket and headed for the snow. It was sunny and cold. The wind wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been...It was pretty much a near perfect ski day. I heard one guy saying that it was freezing out :blink: Another person was asking the ticket window if a lift ticket came with rentals. I thought that was funny. All in all more crowded that I thought it would be but nothing compared to last week.

My first run was on exhibition. The snow was really nice, pretty much a packed pwder surface...perfect for carving. I headed for East Mt, where the pirate ship flag was flying high. I did a lap on River Shot, which was the sweetest it's been all season. The right side was soft powder probably from all of the the wind creating drifts. I then headed for Mad Tree which was also nice. I was surprised at the soft powder towards the entrance but as you went further into the glade the snow was a bit gluey and tough to turn on. I did a few more laps on river shot and really scoped out the elevator. I almost gave it a whirl but my better judgement kicked in and I decided that it probably needs a bit more snow before it's skiable. I saw 2 guys poach Floyds which has a TON of snow...it just needs to be groomed out. Finally I headed for the Challenge glade which was great around the trees but the center of it was scraped and I think I hit a rock. I ended the day with a great run through the T Bolt glade then to Thunderbolt. All in all this may have been one of if not the best day of the season. The snow was really nice and the crowds were a non factor.

madtree.jpg

Lots of snow in the Mad Tree Glade

rivershotheadwall.jpg

First headwall on River Shot - Great snow on there today

I'm waiting for Elevator too, I wish they would trim the damn bushes during the summer it would be skiable now if it were not for that.

I'm waiting until Floyd's opens so I can scope out a line from the bottom. I think the best way to hit the Elevator now may be on the side closer to Floyd's. Although I did notice, about half way down the last headwall on River Shot, that there's a clear area that you could "drop in" at that would require some tight turns and looked like it would offer up some steep pitch.