Blue Mountain

funkmaztafox

Wow what a crazy weekend. I'll post the full details in the Lounge Forum under the weekend thread. I decided I'd take advantage of my no-sunday plans+blowing snow all week at the mountains and head to Blue. I left Coatesville, PA at 5:00AM on the knicker. Estimated time of Arrival on my GPS was 7:15AM. gooood, goooood. I started driving in semi-dry conditions from the night before. I also went to bed at 2:30AM with a 4:45AM alarm clock set. Making my way to Blue only on adrenaline, I filled up the tank about 20minutes before getting to the mountain and ripped it up on some of those PA foothills roads. I think I had more fun driving TO the mountain than I did ON the mountain. AWD Turbo FTW! So I got a pristine parking spot up near the front, slapped on the boots and touristly made my way to the ticket counter. (Side note: I also bought the last pair of skullcandy buds at a best buy with a gift card in Maryland on the way up on Saturday, which are very comfy! Version 1.0 iPod buds FTL :thumbsdown) Being the Ironman I thought I was, I purchased a full-day ticket for $49. Quick trip to the little boys room and I strapped up, got scanned at 7:32, and I asked the guy

(Sexkitten, which one is yours? :P)

The giant one. Haha. Great TR. Thanks.

Excellent first report..I'm glad you had a good time at Blue...Bear Creek is going to be a major letdown in comparison...especially after this weeks warmth.

I agree that the warm weather is going to wreck BC's conditions but when the weather is cooperating I feel that BC is a much better mountain for beginners and people who need a few trips to get them back into ski shape (like me). The steep runs (I know... steep... haha) are especially good when you are just getting back on the snow because they are way shorter than those at Blue and the snow is much more consistent.

Ever since they put in the 6-pack liftlines at Blue move very fast. This does lead to trails that are definitely a human slalom on some of the more crowded days, but it does get you more runs in over the old days where people would sometimes 20+ minutes in line. The year before last the quad broke down and the liftline for the old Challenge double was easily 45 minute to an hour long.

Anyway, liftlines are really short these days as long as it isn't a 15,000 person day like the MLK and Presidents Day holidays. There will be a new trail(s) opening in the next year or two that should help alleviate some of the trail congestion on busier days.

Kudos on your name. For some reason I associate that with getting fired from CB for smoking pot and drinking beer afterhours while riding down the slopes nude with flares taped to the end of your ski poles screaming "WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT, NO WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT", only to have your manager see you doing it.

To give more detail on the lift lines I only had to wait an average of 3 buckets per ride, except for the 3 minute one (or the two-seater). But I also left at 1pm. On my last ride up I talked to a ski instructor and she said that the traffic wasn't bad at all for the day that "I picked the right day to come". I dont know how it compares to other days but I've decided I'm going to always try to catch the...how do you guys say it...courdoroy? Hope that little bit of info helps, maybe a passholder can tell you how it is with respect to the other heavy weekends.

Kudos on your name. For some reason I associate that with getting fired from CB for smoking pot and drinking beer afterhours while riding down the slopes nude with flares taped to the end of your ski poles screaming "WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT, NO WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT", only to have your manager see you doing it.

I never got CAUGHT doing any of that at CB. Only heavy rumors about the dude skiing down the hill naked on the last evening ski run of the year. I never used poles to get down. Had to hold on to my clothes!

Thanks for the tip on Blue. Def gonna schedule that on my list of things to do.