2/11/08 AM report

IrishSnow686

So I had this day scheduled off from work since the start of the year. Normally, I would have just gone into work since it was bitter cold. But starting a new position in the company on March 3rd, days off will be rare for the remainder of the season. So I layered up and was up at Blue by 8:15am w/ a temp approx 8 degrees as the base. When I was getting my ticket, an announcement over the loud speaker said there was a frostbite warning as temps were 8 degrees in the base and 4 at the summit w/ windchills below zero. I expected to see some guns blasting out snow, but to my suprise there was not one gun blowing anywhere on the mountain until around 10am when the fan gun on homstretch started up. I started w/ a warmup on Lazy which was nice. Moved over the Switchback which was nice snow but difficult to see any bumps or potholes w/ the shadows. I then moved over the Main Street which had a thick coat of blown snow on the top half. It was like trying to ride thru glue, but after you passed the bumps, it was fast cord. Did a run thru Comearound to Chute. Paradise was fairly smooth from top to bottom but down but Homestretch you faced that bonechilling wind in the face. Razors had very nice coverage and was pretty grippy snow. Around 11 or 11:30 Challenge opened up which also had nice snow up top but some blown snow about 1/2 way down which didnt slow you up, just nice snow to throw around. I got in a good 4 hour session and hit nearly every open trail. Conditions are good, coverage was good except for one thin spot on Switchback where I could see the grass coming thru.

..it was always around 3-4PM... BigDaddyK..how many layers were you wearing???

The 3 pm one was the one I was looking for. I had 8 layers. (T-shirt, thermal shirt, long sleve shirt, another t-shirt, two sweat shirts, thin wind breaker, ski jacket). Nice and toastie for 4 hours of contiuous skiing. I guess I didn't mention the facemask :ph34r: