snowbasin TR

romemadman

went to snowbasin for 7 days rode for all 5

arrived on sunday around 3 and drove up to teh mountain to see what the base was like, it is set pretty far up and back from the town below. Drove around for a little looking for a place to eat a late lunch adn found Chris's. Not bad place for a quick lunch, awsome burgers.

mon and tues were sunyn days, not bluebird persay but extreamly nice, snow was all packed powder, the stuff in the trees down low had a nice crusty top but beneath was soft, farther up the moutnain it was tracked out. the groomed trails were super nice on mon and tues.

there was noone there through out the week except on fri, the gondola at the base was a bit crowded in the morning.

tues later on in the day the storm started to come through and was dumping, there was a nice new layer of snow on top of everything else which was really nice.

On wed we got 6 inches of snow at the base and about 10 at the top. it was epic, being my first tie riding 10 inches, which i know isnt alot but it was fun. there were some drifts about shin/ a little above my boot deep. I traversed above dans run and had some nice lines through the trees there off of philipot ridge

another good area was skiers left of the john paul quad, also the black areas in the strawberry area closer to the sisters peaks but not in the roped off area, the snow was untracked there on fri when i went through again, not really sure where i was reagaurding trail names.

i dont feel like typing an extensive report but overall:

the riding was excellent, the snow lasts for a long time there, just have to look a little, and in spots it lasts a week+ after thier last storm, like wide open areas.

as far as apres ski scene, everyone usually stays after the lifts close for about an hour and has a beer out on the patio, there are a few bars in the small town of huntsvilleand around the lake, jsut a bit hard to find. Otherwise nto much nightlife, or fancy resturants at the bottom of the hill in town, you ahve to drive to ogden for that.

this moutain is still a fairly quiet place, on the sunday we arrived it was as crowded as blue on a busy weekday.

I recomend this place to anyone. Nothing beats long lasting untracked powder and no lift lines. here are some pictures

view from our condo

snowbasin005.jpg

snowbasin006.jpg

view of needles peak from the road

snowbasin014.jpg

riding up the needles gondola

snowbasin015.jpg

lookin across the strawberry area with the sisters peaks in he background

snowbasin032.jpg

i mean there wasnt too much snow, but i delt with it for the week( the parentals)

snowbasin036.jpg

ogden and the great salt lake off the backside

snowbasin038.jpg

2 days after the storm, on the busiest day we were there for and noone came through this area beofre me, What?!

snowbasin052.jpg

sorry if it was a bad report but w/e it is the greatest snow on earth

snowbasin060.jpg

more pictures here

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j182/d-m...nowbasin002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
That chute in the fifth picture is out of bounds and it looks to be a hell of a hike from the top of the Strawberry Gondola.

Maybe your version of a long hike and mine are two different things....and just so you know jackass UT leaving the area is fine long as you stay out of the permanent avy closure areas. I guess the hordes that drop off the back of No Name or Allen's into Ogden and thus leaving the area are traveling "out of bounds" :lol:

Maybe your version of a long hike and mine are two different things....and just so you know jackass UT leaving the area is fine long as you stay out of the permanent avy closure areas. I guess the hordes that drop off the back of No Name or Allen's into Ogden and thus leaving the area are traveling "out of bounds" :lol:

Leaving the area is legal as long as its through an open gate, but once you leave the boundary of the ski area you are considered to be out of bounds. There is no avalance control outside the ski area boundaries. It is an extremely bad idea to ski out of bounds without a tranciever, probe, shovel, a partner, and avalance knowledge. There were actually two seperate accidents last year from skiers without avalanche equipment or knowledge leaving Snowbasin and skiing off the back of the No Name Area (out of bounds). There was one fatality and another guy was burried up to his neck but dug himself out. Here are the reports: http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/Accidents/Ac...n%202-17-07.htm and http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/Accidents/Ac...yon,2-27-07.htm.

Leaving the area is legal as long as its through an open gate, but once you leave the boundary of the ski area you are considered to be out of bounds. There is no avalance control outside the ski area boundaries. It is an extremely bad idea to ski out of bounds without a tranciever, probe, shovel, a partner, and avalance knowledge. There were actually two seperate accidents last year from skiers without avalanche equipment or knowledge leaving Snowbasin and skiing off the back of the No Name Area (out of bounds). There was one fatality and another guy was burried up to his neck but dug himself out. Here are the reports: http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/Accidents/Ac...n%202-17-07.htm and http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/Accidents/Ac...yon,2-27-07.htm.

Hahaha really no way!

Seriously though dude just because we are from PA doesn't mean we are larry jongs from NJ ducking ropes to rip the slackcountry. I had AIARE level one two years ago, my cousin has had 1 & 2, WFAC and a WFAR recert. We have toured all over the Wasatch and Uintas, Timp, Grizzly, Wolverine, Cardiac Ridge, NW face of Provo Peak, Red Top and countless others. I have climbed and skied with him since I was 12 and wouldn't think twice to trust him with my life outside of a car of course....dude can't drive for s**t. We take saftey very seriously and as much as anyone really can limit the risks that are involved. Compared to the above Strawberry is a walk in the park, Fantasy in bounds at Solly is far more gnar.