Cold and Windy

Glenn

Ok, so for those of you who weren't out today, don't fret because conditions were lousy. It was so cold and windy, I actually caved in and bought a face mask for $20. There was some powder here and there, but nothing grand. Some icey spots, but not enough to make up for the super slow stuff everywhere. Then there was the wind. I was at blue, and took a run down challange. Now, I had to skate my way to the top of the hill. Then when I'm ready to go, I make my way to the steep part of the first headwall. I'm pointed straight down the hill, but standing up arms out, just to check how bad the wind was. So to recap pointed staight down the hill on the steep part of challange, I was stopped dead in my tracks. I actually used the wind to control my speed since it was just a sheet of ice. I pointed straight down and put my arms out and stood to slow down, and pulled them in and tucked to go faster. It was kinda fun/funny, but not exactly ideal.

Too bad you wern't at montage today. Powder EVERYWHERE!!! The woods were amazing. White Lightning was the best I've ever ridden it.  The wind was pretty bad at times, but the north face cut down on it pretty well.  :D

Sounds great. Montage is a little far for me, and if I was going this weekend it was supposed to be on sat, but weather being as it was, I took a day off (not by choice). I was told if I am traveling north, I should just skip montage and head striaght for elk though. This coming from someone whos home mountain is elk, but I really haven't heard anything bad about elk, so aside from the PASR day at montage, I don't think there will be any other trips to montage this season.

Too bad you wern't at montage today. Powder EVERYWHERE!!! The woods were amazing. White Lightning was the best I've ever ridden it. The wind was pretty bad at times, but the north face cut down on it pretty well.

did you go in the woods on the right side of lightning? it was amazing. i also found i nice run through the woods down upper runway intolower runaway and i jumped off about 5 ftcliff.

Yeah I was in the woods on Lightning. Even better than that one on runaway is a huge back country run off the side of fast track. You go 1/4 mile deep and it runs all the way down the mountain. The trees are spaced perfectly too, there is one spot that is just like a huge open field covered in snow.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I went to Big Boulder on the 23rd. It was so cold! There is a thermomter at the top of one of the ski lifts. It siad somethin around -10 :o It was very windy too. The trails were nice since it was a Monday and wasnt crowded. Powder everwhere.