elk improvements this year

rummy

Elk's season pass letter, in today's mail, announced 66 new fixed pole snow guns and 10 new fans. Regrading of Lenape (widening) and slope work on Tioga Spur. A new enclosed buggy for the snow crew. And, of course, more pine tree planting. They also said they plan to start making snow late Nov and hope to open early Dec.

Cant wait for winter, should be a good one!

On the regrading of Lenape, when I first saw what they did (made the flat run in and headwall much wider) I was not happy, but to be honest after seeing it again a few weeks ago it actually is a good improvement. On weekends it was a complete bottle-neck at the top of the headwall, and I think now it is a much more enjoyable trail for everyone. Oh and it will be more fun to take it very very fast on the non crowded days ;)

I am Elk's biggest supporter, but it is dissappointing that they don't attempt an earlier opening in the season... I know your response will be their lack of snowmaking firepower, but I have been there on days where they are covering trails side to side with a foot of powder easy... I guess you could point to the lack of a big close-by market to attract early season skiers and riders, but seriously, Belleayre is kinda in the middle of nowhere and people flock there early season if not farther north... If you blow it, they will come... Its not like the weather isn't cold enough up there... They start blowing the same time as Blue or Camelback, and their temperatures are several degrees colder... Furthermore, most of their staff has been there for a long time and you would think they would be eager to get them actually working earlier... Seriously, I say give me a shot at running this place!!!

We all would like pa ski areas to open in late november!. But most years it is really not feasible or cold enough. Elk usually opens the first Saturday in December and stays open until the last Saturday in March or April 1st. Not bad for Pa skiing. I remember skiing at Shawnee and Camelback one year in late November when we had a cold snap and they opened early, before Dec 1st. And I must say it felt good to get on skis early. but with only 2 trails open and crappy conditions, it really doesn't make sense to open until more trails are open and the base is deep. I know Boulder opened very early last yr, which is cool, but only a short beginner run made into a snowboard park. Nice for the kids, but really not much for skiers or mountain riders.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I am Elk's biggest supporter, but it is dissappointing that they don't attempt an earlier opening in the season... I know your response will be their lack of snowmaking firepower, but I have been there on days where they are covering trails side to side with a foot of powder easy... I guess you could point to the lack of a big close-by market to attract early season skiers and riders, but seriously, Belleayre is kinda in the middle of nowhere and people flock there early season if not farther north... If you blow it, they will come... Its not like the weather isn't cold enough up there... They start blowing the same time as Blue or Camelback, and their temperatures are several degrees colder... Furthermore, most of their staff has been there for a long time and you would think they would be eager to get them actually working earlier... Seriously, I say give me a shot at running this place!!!

It's not snowmaking firepower, it's the type of guns they use. They have convinced themselves that Elk is in Vt., as a result the system they have doesn't work well around here. (not cold enough early season)

They have a hard time with employee retention, so, as a result, their snowcrew is relatively inexperienced.

I also say "give you a shot at running the place"............. doing something beats doing nothing