Opening Day TR

Schif

So I went up to Sno today to check out the mountain. I didn't check the website before I left, but after seeing and hearing that snowmaking was going on a decent number of trails I just went assuming I'd find all but Lower Runaway and Lower Fast Track and the blues open. This would not be the case.

I parked over by the Phoebe Snow lift and rode down the spillway towards the bunny slope area. I could not believe what I saw down there. The trail down to the Iron Horse was bare, as was every single upper mountain trail except for the bunny, the tubing and the area next to the tubing. There wasn't even a solid snow surface all the way to the Lodge. I have a feeling that the main reason for this is that the Lazy river was still not filled in or covered with snow. I'm not in the business of running a mountain but I have a strange feeling that this is something that should be done.

Ok, so its not all terrible. The coverage on the bunny and the park above the bunny was great. Snow was soft, no death cookies that I came across and it was well groomed. I didn't go down the Northface (which was only Boomer and Cannonball) but the upper stuff was nice. I spent some time playing around in the park. It was set up very nicely with 8 jibs and a perpendicular mailbox set on a spine (like what was at the bottom of terrain run at blue last year) Lips were nice and landings were smooth and well angled.

Overall a decent day on the snow. I would have liked to see a little more open, but its not looking good with the next few days being warm.