Snowboard bindings

Tim says

Hey I just got a new snowboard and am looking to replace my old bindings because they are rusty/falling apart/pieces of shit.

I've never had to buy new bindings before so I have no idea what's good and whether or not stuff like the width/length of my board and size of my boots have an effect on what I should get. Any advice?

the size of boots is important (bindings typicaly come in small, medium, and large sizes), also the type of snowboarding you are doing is important. park riding you want flex, and for free riding you want stiff. toe caps are very nice they reduce pressure points, and increase control (most companies have some sort of toe cap system). the lighter the binding the better.

Edited by zaldon

the size of boots is important (bindings typicaly come in small, medium, and large sizes), also the type of snowboarding you are doing is important. park riding you want flex, and for free riding you want stiff. toe caps are very nice they reduce pressure points, and increase control (most companies have some sort of toe cap system). the lighter the binding the better.

Definitely true on sizes, be careful with Ride bindings, their sizing is different and they have an XL, so boots that fit in a large binding from most companies need an XL from Ride. If possible bring your boot to be sure.

As you move up in price generally you get stiffer high backs and frame, more comfortable straps, and better ratchets. I like Salomon for bang for the buck, Burton overall but they are expensive, Flow at the upper end but I avoid their lower end stuff, T9 for bullet proof stuff that is a bit heavy, I used to like Ride but I'm losing my love for them quickly. Rome makes some good stuff too.

If unsure, get the Burton Custom, Rome 390, Ride EX or something on that level. You don't need to get some really high end binding any more unless you just want to blow money.

If you can get into a medium, work end of the year sales. Large size bindings are generally not left over so just get what you can now. People always buy larger than they need "so they can grow into it" so plenty of people who could get a medium just buy a large and that leaves few for those who actually need them.