how is VT in mid-march?

IrishSnow686

I was hoping to get up to VT in Feb, but looks like the only week that some of the people I am going with are only able to go in mid-march. How are the conditions/weather/temps in VT during mid-march? I am sure they are pretty good since I am usually on the mountain on St. Patty's day here in the Poc's. Plus it might be pretty fun to be up in VT on St. Pat's day with a bunch of friends. But any imput on how the conditions/weather are during mid-March would be much appreciated.

I've been at Killington for the past two St Patty's days. Some of the best conditions I've ever skied on. Last years St. Patty's day storm lasted almost 4 days and I was skiing in thigh deep powder on blue trails!!!

My wife just told me last night that she has to be in Dallas on 3/16 so I'm going to be really bummed if she can't make it this year.

Edited by RootDKJ

I figured there were good conditions but always good to find out from people who have been there during that time. I usually like to head up in Feb for a week, but can't this year. Thanks for the imput. Now I just need to figure out where we are going.. I'm trying for Stowe or Jay Peak.

mid March is the best time of the year to ski Vermont. Temperatures aren't bone chilling but it continues to snow and base depths are at their deepest point of the season...most resorts still charge midseason rates until late March..

What GSS said.

March is actually the snowiest month in VT. It could rain but usually all the trails are open and it likely won't be -15F like it is right now in Stowe.

I usually schedule a trip to VT in early march for those reasons. Two years ago I was at Stratton on April 3rd, Easter Sunday. 6" of fresh powder and one of the best days of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody raves about Jay Peak in later March because it starts to get warm (avg temp in the 30s) and they love the "spring skiing." What a waste...mashed potatoes and soup in your ass all day.

If you can make it in the early to mid part of March, Jay will rock. Stowe is always a lot of fun, but with less thrilling terrain (although I haven't been there in a couple seasons). If you're looking for some woods to hit, early and mid march is a ton of fun in Jay.

Whatever you do, try to get there on a week when it's going to be under 30, otherwise you'll probably get rain on at least one of the days.