Boots for mini-me

Timeless

OK, so having accepted that my 4-year old son is going "to the other side" (skiing rather than boarding), I've put him into "Explorers" at Blue and bought him some gear (Head ski's, Marker bindings) and he's doing really well.

My problem is that we bought him used boots and he's broken the plastic screw-on heel pieces. So:

Does anyone know where I might get replacement parts, they are Nordica but not current models and the guys at the Loft couldn't help.

Does anyone know a good source of used boots for people this small (size 12-13 US childrens size). I may have to resort to E-bay but the sizing bothers me.

Where would you recommend for new boots, I'd rather not go down this route until the beginning of next season, but I don't want to cut his season short.

Also, will the release settings on his bindings still be OK for the new boots or will I need them set up again, sorry if this is an ignorant question but with both my daughter and I going for snowboards, this is new to me.

Thanks

Does anyone know where I might get replacement parts, they are Nordica but not current models and the guys at the Loft couldn't help.

Does anyone know a good source of used boots for people this small (size 12-13 US childrens size).  I may have to resort to E-bay but the sizing bothers me.

Where would you recommend for new boots, I'd rather not go down this route until the beginning of next season, but I don't want to cut his season short.

Also, will the release settings on his bindings still be OK for the new boots or will I need them set up again, sorry if this is an ignorant question but with both my daughter and I going for snowboards, this is new to me.

The easiest route for outfitting little kids is a seasonal rental program. A hundred bucks or so and you can swap anything that breaks or is outgrown during the season. Then you just give it all back at the end of the season.

The drawback is that a lot of the area shops have crappy rental gear in the 80 to 100cm range. Usually, older rear entry boots and straight skis.

And you're looking for a quick fix, right? To finish out the season?

At four, rear entry boots are just fine. The ease of entry outways the lack of support. My 4-year-old has rear entry boots, but I already bought two sizes of front entry, two buckle boots in subsequent sizes.

You'll have abig problem getting a part for that boot. It's likely easier to just buy a new/used boot. And if one piece of the boot broke, is another part ready to break?

I highly recommend Ebay as a source for gear. And I've found that sizing kids boots (I've bought for four or five other parents) isn't all that hard. If you buy the wrong size, just turn them back around and resell them. If you save the box they arrived in, it's pretty seemless. I don't have my chart here, but he's either an 18.5 or 19.5 Mondo size. Don't buy rental gear on Ebay. Boots will have permanent marker number sizes on the back of the boot as the #1 tip off. As are too many scuffs. But people are pretty straightforward.

If you buy new kids boots from a shop, they'll run $50-$100, plus tax. Used boots on Ebay will run $15 to $45, plus shipping; new boots are generally $35-$65.

If you buy new boots from a shop, TELL them you want them to make sure the bindings are still set properly. Don't let them even think about charging you the $25 remounting fee for simply turning a screw once or twice. Some shops do it. And don't allow them to make you leave them overnight. It's a one minute adjustment. If the boot sole length on the new boot is the same, then there's no adjustment at all. If it's a little different, just do this: click the old boot into one binding. Then click the new boot into the other. Look at the top of the heel, where the back binding meets the boot. Now find the screw (not the tension adjustment screw, if there is one on the rear binding) that pulls back or pushes forward the rear binding. Turn that screw to match them. Some bindings have a lever on the track that you lift to unlock it, instead of turning a screw. Same principle, though.

Bottom line, though, is that I'd go grab two pairs of used boots off of Ebay. Buy the size you think is right, and a size bigger. Save the boxes. Check the bindings. No worries.

Nestor's in Allentown has been my place of choice for my 2 boys' boots - they have had their own boots for the last 5 years - they are 10 & 11 now. Nestors has a trade in program. They have honored a 50% percent trade in on what I spent the previous years. Through the years they have kept the previous years' information, so that helps to get the better service.

I chose the "new boot every year" route because of the number of days we ski per year. The lease programs are a great idea if you plan on doing 5 or so outings per year. Any more than that I would get new.

I am not suggesting that you do this - but I will be honest, for the first years (5&6) - I bought a size too large and stuffed paper towels in the toes to make up the difference - just to get a little more mileage out of them. As they advanced, it is now footbeds, heel shims, padding, booster straps. It killed me to see my freestylers brand new boots sawed and grinded on to stop the shin bang. Oh well.... You will enjoy skiing with your children a lot more with their own gear and so will they!!

Rob

OK, so having accepted that my 4-year old son is going "to the other side" (skiing rather than boarding),  I've put him into "Explorers" at Blue and bought him some gear (Head ski's, Marker bindings) and he's doing really well.

with both my daughter and I going for snowboards, this is new to me.

Thanks

I bady want to razz you :drool for going the easy route (riding) and "high five" your 4 year old, :rock but I won't :nono

I hope I don't start a war - but riding is for people who don't know how to ski.... :wiggle

Discordial, just to give you an example of how simple buying kids gear on Ebay is, I went to look at what was currently available in junior boots. I found a pair of Rossi front entry boots in 18.5, with a 227 sole length. Used for two seasons by a family that doesn't ski much. No rips in the liner, etc. The "Buy It Now" price was $45.00 and I got free shipping for doing a "Buy It Now". The boot is the next size up from her current boots, so I can get her 90cm skis mounted for next year.

PS

Nobody tell my wife that my 4-year-old has four pairs of ski boots. She just doesn't understand.

Edited by ski999

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll hit up e-bay this evening.

I did a little web surfing and found pages of complaints about these heel and toe plates on Nordica boots shattering and not being able to be replaced. I guess you just live 'n learn.

I bady want to razz you  :drool for going the easy route (riding) and "high five" your 4 year old,  :rock    but I won't  :nono

I hope I don't start a war - but riding is for people who don't know how to ski.... :wiggle

I wont be drawn into that particular discussion.... :P

I chose to ride because I've had some pretty serious knee injuries in the past and the likely injuries from a board looked much less threatening (to me).

My daughter (at 8, now 9 ) chose a board because "it's cooler" and my son is skiing because most informed opinion seemed to agree that boarding at less than 7 is not such a good idea. Whe he's old enough he can choose which way he wants to go.