more traffic

LineSki

so i guess that big building that you can see that there building when you are going down nile mile is going to be an indoor waterpark. what the hell is this, an all year round water park has to go in right by camelback. i mean this is cool why does it have to go in by cb. i think this is the last year at cb for me, with moutain creek offering passes now for youths for 189 i think im done.

im just fed up with cb not that this company has anything to do with cb but i am done. from getting crap stolen and rude new yorkers, crappy park. but i just thought i would add that passes at mountain creek are only 189 and thats where i will be going next year. sorry i just needed to rant.

im just fed up with cb not that this company has anything to do with cb but i am done. from getting crap stolen and rude new yorkers, crappy park. but i just thought i would add that passes at mountain creek are only 189 and thats where i will be going next year. sorry i just needed to rant.

I was a pass holder at MC up till last year. Mountain Creek's passes are cheaper but the place is a ZOO every time I go. Plus the urin smell in the tents (main lodge) is dusgusting and a health hazzard....come on the lodge they are trying to build should have been up years ago after the 1st one burned down.

If you want rude NY people you'll have more than your fill at MC, its worse there than CB because its closer to the city.

The park at MC is the best in the area but even though CB park needs major improvements the place is not that bad. I'll put up with the crappy park.

The thing that sucks about the new water park is now camelbeach has compitition. With the growing priority that has been placed on camelbeach in the recent years, it seems competition in the water park market would just increase their monitary focus on the summer side of things. So its a little disturbing that this new indoor waterpark will be around. It will no doubt bring more people to the area, which can be good and bad.

As far as mountain creek goes, it doesn't really seem close enough to be worth while as your home mountain. I only hear about their park being great and the rest of the place being crowded and certainly not worth while. Do whatever you want, I'm not here to tell you to stay at a mountain your not having fun at, but there are other options. If you are really looking for a better park, I would look at shawnee and boulder. They apparently have a bit more progressive park stuff. You're definetly going to find less new yorkers at those two places than at MC.

No I wasn't being sarcastic. I really do hear that MC's park is great. I also hear that the rest of the place is a mad house. I don't really hear anything else. So one positive, lots of negatives. Just doesn't seem worth while to make a place like that my home mountain. Espeacially if I had to travel for it.

Whoa, I totally thought that said parkING. Wow, I'm losing it.

:lol:lol:lol

Nah. My favorite place for parking is montage. You park pretty close to the lodge but they still have a complimentary shuttle. In fact if you ride the lower lift, you can park less than 100 yards from the lift. Yeah, I don't really know anything about MC's parking situation. Maybe I'll go up during the summer and do some biking there, at which time I'll check out the parking situation.

If you are really looking for a better park, I would look at shawnee and boulder. They apparently have a bit more progressive park stuff.

all i keep hearing about shawnee is that they dont know how to set up their stuff. although not going there this year i shouldnt really say anything, but my friend says "i could dig a better halfpipe in my backyard", so i dont know. as far mc being farther away its only another 10 minutes. boulder, also is another option.

Edited by lineski2007

If you go back in time, CB has only been concentrating on the waterpark for the past 7-8 years. Before that, Nile, Cliff, Pharoah, Stevenson and Sullivan HS quads, several new buildings, many snowmaking upgrades, and so on.

We tend to forget about life before Camelbeach. Since the beach, they have made mostly "invisible" upgrades. New snowguns, pumps, pipes, compressors, grooming equipment, snowmobiles and so on.

CB spends alot of money every year on the ski area, we just dont always notice.

If you go back in time, CB has only been concentrating on the waterpark for the past 7-8 years. Before that, Nile, Cliff, Pharoah, Stevenson and Sullivan HS quads, several new buildings, many snowmaking upgrades, and so on.

We tend to forget about life before Camelbeach. Since the beach, they have made mostly "invisible" upgrades. New snowguns, pumps, pipes, compressors, grooming equipment, snowmobiles and so on.

CB spends alot of money every year on the ski area, we just dont always notice.

I understand not all upgrades are visable. Though their effect should be seen. If new guns/compressors are really there, shouldnt the mountain open faster? I understand weather is a factor, but CB was rather sluggish getting everything open. Blue was fully open WEEKS before CB. From my memory, CB used to be the leader in the area in snowmaking (maybe I'm wrong, maybe they still are but refuse to use what power they have idk). If the money is going to grooming, then why isn't the grooming better, for instance why is the pipe so infrequently cut. I honestly beleive the equipment they purchase yearly (guns compressors etc) is not additional equipment, its replacement equipment. If its replacing older equipment it will be more efficient or whatever, maybe even put out snow a little faster but there is a big difference between replacing equipment and adding new equipment to the mountain. It just irritates me that they add the expensive new slides or pools and such each year for camelbeach, but they can't put new jibs in the park, or fix the ones they currently have. It doesn't cost much to get/make rails and boxes. For a company like camelback the couple hundred to put some new rails in is nothing. Espeacially compared to the massive price tag on a slide or pool. The mountain is pretty decent in terms of trails (a bump run would be nice, but whatever) but the park is where they are really lacking, and putting a little money into it would go a long way. So to recap, I don't buy "invisable" upgrades when you can't even see the evidence of them. I call that maintenance not an upgrade. The disturbing thing is the obvious preferance to expand the water park and neglecting the mountain. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

The reality of it is, CB is a ski area AND a waterpark. Both are very successfull. Unfortunately for us skiers, CB has already invested 40 years into skiing and is now trying to build its summer ops.

Weather has everything to do with the ability to utilize the upgraded equipment. Yes, some of what they do is maintenance or replacement of older stuff. New equipment is way more expensive than the older stuff (mainly because the alot of the older stuff was "homemade").

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned as far as upgrades to the ski area is the lighting. Over the past 5 years, most of the lighting has been replaced with brighter fixtures and we are now skiing 100% of the mountain. That aint cheap.

I don't want to come off like there is nothing else CB needs to do, but, dont say they haven't done anything.

The parks are in serious need of help, and they discuss it everyday. The other areas have made a commitment to parks and pipes, because they couldn't compete with CB as regular ski areas. However, CB will be trying to improve in this area, they are just trying to keep the general ski/ride population happy also. As much as you dont want to hear this, CB doesn't want to be known as the "park and pipe" mecca of the east.

Well its about time that they replaced those lights because it was dangerous coming into a blind spot at night.

With the upgraded equipment I assume you are talking about snowmaking because you said the weather is a factor. If you replaced the older snowmaking equipment with the newer guns like hkd's those guns will not make snow at marginal temps like the older air/water guns so that right there could be the problem of why it takes so long to open things up.

Before last winter they did a major overhaul of snowmaking pumps, and that was big money. Now they have more water than air to make snow. So the next project they need to do is either need to bring on more air or invest in airless/fan type snowmaking equipment. Its a big decision and takes a lot of ticket sales to get your money back.

Some interesting links on snowmaking equipment, and you will see some of this stuff at CB in different locations.

http://www.snowmakers.com/smi_fanproducts.html

http://www.ratnik.com/snowmaking.html

http://www.snowmax.com/main.htm

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blsnow.htm

is that the reason they had to rent four of those huge ingersol rand compressors early in the season???

the reason for that is to supplement their built in system to help open the mountain faster. It isn't worth the price to have that much capacity built in, as they only need that much power early in the season. All mountains do it. They dump them when they're nearing 100% open, as the built in systems are enough to touch up the mountain when needed.

Oh yeah and I forgot...blue doesn't rent there compressors they OWN them so that is another reason they are the snowmaking powerhouse.

you sure about that? Where are they right now then? Cause they were there in the beginning of the season, and I remember a patroller remarking to me "The compressors are gone, so things will be slowing down" early in the season....