approximate opening

rummy

I love Elk, so I am stoked to hear it... I'm guessing that opening day will be the same as years past with East Slope, West Slope, Susquehanna, Delaware, and Beginner Slope open... Unfortunately, even with good weather, the opening won't be any earlier...

I love Elk, so I am stoked to hear it... I'm guessing that opening day will be the same as years past with East Slope, West Slope, Susquehanna, Delaware, and Beginner Slope open... Unfortunately, even with good weather, the opening won't be any earlier...

Elk usually opens Tioga, not Delaware, with the other 4 trails mentioned first. Then they open Upper Tunk, for some bumps, and Delaware about the same time. The regular park usually opens when Delaware does and the beginners park opens early, often within a week of opening day.

Last year they seemed to concentrate on opening the majority of the West side (parking lot lift side) then moved to opening the Indians on the E side. Often Slalom doesn't open until the middle of the "big snow making push".

This will be my 30th year of skiing at Elk and they always seem to be shooting for this time period (Dec 3rd) to open. I've made most opening days at Elk and they never open with a WROD, usually edge to edge coverage of 12" or more and no death cookies.

We've often said that some of the best snow/conditions of the season, is the time period between opening day and the holidays. The entire mountain isn't open but, with luck, there haven't been any ice storms or Jan. thaw-like spells. And, best of all, no crowds especially mid-week.

Depending on conditions and open terrain, I'll probably be coming up that weekend and Dec 10... I usually stay away on weekends, but my guess is that there will be no crowds that early in the season... I'll probably go to Lehigh to visit with some friends and then drive up in the morning... Hoping for a cold start...