Beveling Edges on Reverse Camber Board ?

train36

I always take my boards to a shop and get my base and side edges beveled and am wondering about doing this on my new Never Summer. I usually go with a 2 degree side bevel and 2 or 3 degree base bevel. I like it cause I can play around in the park without destroying my edges as much. Never Summers sidecut is different and I am worried a shop might mess this up. Here is a description of the sidecut and how they do their reverse camber, just click on rocker and camber : Never Summer . I usually go to Buckmans but am not sure if they use a machine or do it by hand. I have a feeling if it is stuck in a machine it could mess up the sidecut. Anyone know how Buckmans tunes their boards ? Or if any shops hand tune ? Any information is appreciated .

I'd start with a 1- or 2-degree bevel and go from there. It's easy to take more off, but you can't put it back on. If you ride a lot of park, start with 2. I'm pretty sure Buckman's machine tunes boards, but one of the Buckman's reps here would be able to answer that more accurately. Where in Philly are you? I could recommend a shop or two near you if Buckman's doesn't hand tune.

I'd start with a 1- or 2-degree bevel and go from there. It's easy to take more off, but you can't put it back on. If you ride a lot of park, start with 2. I'm pretty sure Buckman's machine tunes boards, but one of the Buckman's reps here would be able to answer that more accurately. Where in Philly are you? I could recommend a shop or two near you if Buckman's doesn't hand tune.

I am in NE Philly. I was going to start with two and go from there , that's what I usually so anyways.

They used to be right on Old York Road, by the Ihop. Now they moved up to Roslyn somewhere. I don't think they tune boards, as they don't really do much with snowboards at all now from what i heard. Selection is very slim.

I'm not sure that doing it yourself would be better. I don't know all the machines out there in the world but we had two different ones at our shop (one a stone, one a belt) and neither would mess up a reverse camber board. The tool is only working on a really small piece of the edge at a time - maybe like 1-2mm at a time - so it doesn't matter what the overall trend of the edge is. There is generally a big roller right at the contact point with the belt or stone and the angle of the roller to the belt/stone is what gives you the edge bevel. There might be other ways to do it but from my experience camber shouldn't matter at all.

I'm not sure that doing it yourself would be better. I don't know all the machines out there in the world but we had two different ones at our shop (one a stone, one a belt) and neither would mess up a reverse camber board. The tool is only working on a really small piece of the edge at a time - maybe like 1-2mm at a time - so it doesn't matter what the overall trend of the edge is. There is generally a big roller right at the contact point with the belt or stone and the angle of the roller to the belt/stone is what gives you the edge bevel. There might be other ways to do it but from my experience camber shouldn't matter at all.

Check out the gallery of pictures on this link: http://www.wintersteiger.com/en/Sports/Machines/New-Machines/Edge-grinding/27-Trim-B

Since it is all going over that roller, the overall shape of the ski/snowboard doesn't matter at all.

In comparison doing it by hand is an chore and doesn't come out nearly as smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the gallery of pictures on this link: http://www.wintersteiger.com/en/Sports/Machines/New-Machines/Edge-grinding/27-Trim-B

Since it is all going over that roller, the overall shape of the ski/snowboard doesn't matter at all.

In comparison doing it by hand is an chore and doesn't come out nearly as smooth.

Thanks for the help. I wasn't so worried about the base edge as I am the side edge. Never Summer uses a variable sidecut and a few different radius'. I thought that a machine might throw this off. I am probably just going to take it to Buckmans, hope it will be okay. Actually I may call/email Never Summer today and find out the best way to tune their boards. Thanks again.