Big Boulder 12/12/2009

AtomicSkier

I was in no rush to get up this morning so I left my apartment in the southside of the B at about 7:45am. I arrived 58 minutes later at BB's parking lot, which was freaking empty so I grabbed a nice spot right by the lodge. I was worried that Big Boulder Trail wouldn't be open (main reason I was there), but alas, I could see someone coming down as I was pulling in. Booted up and hit the snow. You couldn't skate over to the Boulder lift today (maybe tomorrow), so I had to take the double up to the top and work my way over. BB trail had some great snow on it, that trademark BB blower :) They topped it off with some manmade from the fan guns and left it ungroomed for a nice soft surface. They missed about 30 feet 3/4 of the way down the trail and it was rock hard frozen cord with some death cookies. I just straight ran that short section to get to the last "headwall" which was nice soft snow again. There was nobody on that side of the mountain and I proceeded to do lap after lap making some nice turns down BB trail. I had to be home by noon to order some concert tickets, so I peaced out around 10:55am. Some really nice conditions, and there was snow everywhere. Didn't see anyone I knew, but I figured most JFBB PASR's would be over at JF.

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

I was in no rush to get up this morning so I left my apartment in the southside of the B at about 7:45am. I arrived 58 minutes later at BB's parking lot, which was freaking empty so I grabbed a nice spot right by the lodge. I was worried that Big Boulder Trail wouldn't be open (main reason I was there), but alas, I could see someone coming down as I was pulling in. Booted up and hit the snow. You couldn't skate over to the Boulder lift today (maybe tomorrow), so I had to take the double up to the top and work my way over. BB trail had some great snow on it, that trademark BB blower :) They topped it off with some manmade from the fan guns and left it ungroomed for a nice soft surface. They missed about 30 feet 3/4 of the way down the trail and it was rock hard frozen cord with some death cookies. I just straight ran that short section to get to the last "headwall" which was nice soft snow again. There was nobody on that side of the mountain and I proceeded to do lap after lap making some nice turns down BB trail. I had to be home by noon to order some concert tickets, so I peaced out around 10:55am. Some really nice conditions, and there was snow everywhere. Didn't see anyone I knew, but I figured most JFBB PASR's would be over at JF.

Boulder was amazing this morning

We also had a great morning session at Boulder on Saturday! Hubby, kids and I were a bit lazy, so we didn't get to BB until 10ish. We were amazed to find how empty it was for a Saturday. We figured everyone was over at JF for opening. We lapped Little Boulder, Lower Sitzmark and Freedom for about 2 hours. Took a quick break and got back out for another hour or so. The conditions were beautiful - sunny, perfect temp, nice snow conditions. A big change from Freezing Friday when we got 2 runs and called it a night. We left around 1:30 with big grins on all our faces and great start to the season.