JF TR 1/19/10

Robert2

As I arrived at JF at noon the sky was dumping fresh snow.

It looked like a snow globe.

The surface was real soft and wet snow cone slush...

perhaps what GSS calls creamed corn.

It was so soft that I sunk in 4 inches.

It was so wet that I could feel the cold water envelope my boot.

I usually don't feel any cold in 8 degree air so it was a real surprise to feel

cold in wet snow. I thought my boot was leaking but it turned out that it was just the heat and cold transfer. No leaks. As soon as I was on the snowboard I no longer felt the cold.

The ride was ballistic fast... with huge rooster tails and lots of control in this slop.

On my fun scale I rate today a solid 10.... compared to Blue Mountain's #2 BLUE ICE on Friday.

I really thought I'd find warm sticky muck but this wet surface was slicker than owl snot.

No warm stickies today.

JADIP

Apparently it was rain 20 miles south where I live. I"m on the road now though, sorry I missed it.

It was raining in Jim Thorpe when I left my house and there was no signs of snow on the ground until we got all the way up to route 534. Then as we approached JF on 940 you could see that all the ponds were frozen and all the ground was covered in white.... old snow ..not the new falling snow.

Its like they have their own weather systems at that altitude that makes the difference between rain and snow here and there.

So I check www.weather.com for BLAKESLEE PA and PALMERTON PA to see what to expect daily.

Unless its February there's always a chance of borderline thawing temps ruining the snow at Blue

but Jack Frost has been really consistent nice riding for me.

Blakeslee basically has its own Climate. It can be raining all around to the east west north and south, but we still might be getting snow at JFBB. And whats even more surreal is the difference in climates in Blakeslee. At times it might be sleeting in my higher elevation development, but it could be Freezing raining down on 940 going towards 476. I like taking my chances at Jack Frost, a lot of the time we get fairly lucky when temps are marginal.