Wednesday 3/10?

oldtimeskier

Planning on heading up on 3/10 with my two sons that are on college break.

Figures that I had been planning this, the Russian winter has turned to Spring overnight.

Any ideas from locals on how the conditions will be impacted.

I know there is a load of snow on the mountain, however I have never skied in spring conditions. Cold at night, warm during the day, does that make for icy conditions?

Also was thinking of trying Chet's for a bite and a few beers. Never been there, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cold at night and warm during the day means solid frozen cord to start..becoming more sugary by mid-morning and then eventually turning over to spring mashed potatoes and applesauce..in spring conditions speed is your friend..slow skiers and riders get eaten up in spring snow while faster ones fly through the piles..

I think you can encounter like 16 descriptions of various surface conditions in the warmer spring temps. Examples would be: Loose Granular, Corn snow, and "Sierra Cement". Sierra Cement can be wet, sticky, deep and difficult to ski in, wider skis help a lot. I love spring skiing, DO NOT FORGET to put lots of sun tan lotion on your face and you must wear sun shades over your eyes as the sun is extra bright and bounces off the snow into your eyes. One tip is in the slushy wetter snow is to weight both your skiis 50/50.