Ski House Inquiry

Ride Delaware ?

So, my family is considering buying a condo. Right now we are looking pretty intently at Sugarbush. It is the most affordable, has decent terrain variety, and good snow. We looked at Killington since it is a little closer to home, but the condos were more expensive, not in as good as shape, did not have as good accessibility, and the fees and taxes were outrageous. I understand there are special assessments and that is an added cost, but the condo at the Bush was significantly cheaper, fees are about half as much, and taxes comparable. Plus I will be in the MRV which gets considerably better snow. It is also only about 40 minutes or so from Stowe if I want to head up that way. What are your thoughts? We may be able to get a condo soon if it is at the Bush, but if it is elsewhere, we may have to wait several more years... I'd like to get the most use out if it while I am young... Lets hear it... I'm especially interested in what Doug has to say since he went to school up there... I have been to the Bush so I know what the terrain is like. Not the greatest, but definitely enough to keep me interested, especially when I can travel to those other areas close by... Thanks...

My brother-in-law has a condo there. Like you said, you're also close to a few other cool places, so you're not so comitted to Sugarbush. There's a bunch of stuff going on in the summer at the Bush, so you can rent it out and soften the financial blow as well. Go for it.

That would be awesome... I wonder how much extra the taxes are... We would be renting it out some peak weeks in the winter, and during the summer.. I would go for 2 weeks at a time probably 4 times a winter... It would be worth it... Weekday pass is affordable at $529... 7 days a week is out of the questions for now at $1199...

Can you ask your brother what kind of summer rental income to expect? I'm not expecting to rent it much in the winter, but most of the summer would be fine...

he said sping and summers have been pretty light, but fall through winter is quite solid. so even if you skip a few winter weeks here and there, the profit from the winter will help pay for the summer drop.

Update: I am doing my due diligence on a Mountainside Condo at Sugarbush... Alot of factors played into it, but the biggest ones were price, fees, taxes, snow, proximity to other resorts, and season pass price... I won't have enough fluid cash to get a 7 day season pass at $1,199, but a 5 day without weekends for $499 is easily attainable... I don't board much on weekends or holidays which are probably the peak times we will rent it... It is a huge plus having Stowe, Killington, and Bolton Valley within an hour... I would probably get a discount card to one of them so I can get a little variety here and there... I am hoping for good snow since it is farther north than K-Mart and gets a respectable 270" a year... I am aiming on going about 8 weeks this year if work allows and will probably try to live there and work at Sugarbush for the 11/12 season... It would appear that the taxes listed on the MLS already have the Act 60 taxes included since the literature I read says that condos are all lumped together, regardless of the resident's home state since they are considered luxury type homes... The more interesting part is the taxes on the sale should we sell it in the future... They are different under Act 68 and I have an e-mail into the realtor to ask him how it works... If we get some good news back from the realtor on the taxes we may go check out the condo in a couple weeks before I head to Europe... It is priced nearly $30k higher than the same condo right next door, so we should be able to talk it down a good chunk... I'm really hopeful and optimistic...

• 2 weeks later...

Currently in Rutland... Heading up to scope out some of the condos tomorrow... Probably won't make a decision, but we will have a good idea of if the condos are worth it, in the right place, and something we would be interested into holding onto for the immediate future (5-10 yrs)... I'll let you know how it goes...