Siblet looking for turns at Logan Pass

sibhusky

I'm following Siblet's SPOT tracks as she goes across a ridge to get to some snow:

post-68-0-21842000-1310767661_thumb.jpg

In the pic below, you can see the ridge in the distance (this a pic from yesterday):

5937153760_fa41a9c26d_b.jpg

Update: She's started down, crossing diagonally from that notch from left to right. I hope there's lots of pictures!!! I think the notch must have stopped them for some reason.

Edited by sibhusky

Some pictures. I've jiggled the pics a bit to show snow consistency and tracks better. These aren't all of them. The companion has his own ski company and those are some of the skis he sells.

First pic is from below, standing about I'm thinking, a third of the way between the parking lot and the ridge: They will approach the ridge from the left and climb along the ridge itself to a notch, then down-climbed the rocks (IN SKI BOOTS!) and skied from the area the snow begins.

1.jpg

One view from the ridge back to what they came over to get to it:

2.jpg

Adventure companion (not the boyfriend):

3.jpg

Climbing up the ridge line in ski boots. Friend had mountaineering boots, Siblet did this in RACE boots!

4.jpg

Looking down from the ridge. Red arrow shows the buildings and parking lot in the distance (Logan Pass)

5.jpg

Companion putting on skis after downclimbing to a ledge (there were several) below the ridge line. Below him is a "non-hoppable" crevasse they had to find a snow bridge (two skis wide) to get across. You can't tell from the pic, but it's about 12 feet across.

6.jpg

Companion pointing up to their tracks. Where they hiked to is visible as the notch in the ridgeline above his head. They did figure 8's down, but the snow was coming down with them, so it just looks like a snow slide, but the tracks are pretty much at the end of where he is pointing the pole.

7.jpg

Close up of tracks. Used Paint Shop Pro to emphasize them better. You can sort of see the figure 8's.

8.jpg

Friend skied down through some connecting paths through the rocks. Siblet skipped that.

9.jpg

She says she had a great time and would do it again in a heart beat. The snow consistency varied quite a bit all over, but she had a blast.

nice report...Sibhusky do you hit the backcountry at all?

NO. Too out of shape. Siblet is able to keep up with these other mountain goats, not me.

I just noticed I said they approached from the left...should have said right as can be seen in the route maps...