Bolton Valley 2-14-14

Ride Delaware ?

Afroman and I decided to check out a new mountain, and Bolton seemed to fit the bill despite what Steeze posted yesterday. We scored some tix on liftopia, left early, and were on the slopes by 9:30.

Only the main quad up the middle of the mountain was worth riding, so we lapped that. It flurried most if the day, but fine snow didn't start falling at a good clip until 1 ish. It was dumping by 3 but not much accumulation. Winds were going at a good clip which made it seem colder than 22 degrees.

All in all, it was well worth it. There is a decent amount of flat traversing, but there are some steeps, and the woods there look amazing. I ended up doing one on map glade run and then some woods shots on the sides of trails that were pretty damn fun. I would say they, like Sugarbush, need about a foot of medium density pow to put everything in play without the risk of base damage. Still a bunch of thin cover on the steeper natural stuff. I would really like to get back there later in the season when more snow has fallen.

As of right now, we are waiting for the bulk of the storm. Light snow shower action is the current report on top of about 3". They say the majority will fall in the AM. Here's some pics:

post-2722-139235466455_thumb.jpg

post-2722-13923546774_thumb.jpg

post-2722-139235468854_thumb.jpg

post-2722-139235469992_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Bolton can be awesome as fuck under the right conditions. The lists on the far left and right are best.

I miss Bolton. That drive up the access road can be quite the white knuckle experience me when there is snow on the ground.

It was snow covered on the way down, and I was freaking out. It's steep and there wasn't much traction. So glad the road to Waterbury is flat.