snowboard demos

Timeless

I'm getting the urge to buy a second board this year (although my M3 is still much better than I am), but now that I can actually ride one, I do not want to buy blind this time.

I think I would like to put together a short(ish) lightweight set-up.

Rather than just buy from reviews, I would actually like to try a few different lengths and styles before lashing out $600+. Do any of the local dealers do board demo's and how accomodating are they likely to be.

has anyone actually ridden a variety of board lengths / types? How much difference do you really feel?

It's more than just the length. I've ridden boards that were the same length, but because of a difference in width, cut and flex they really felt different. The ability to really carve and hold an edge and snap out of a turn change more with the stiffness. tell us what kind of riding your in to and we could recommend where to start.

The loft at camelback does "high end line" demos for something like $30. I don't know all the rules. Nestors does a demo day at CB and presumabely other mountains. Hunter had a HUGE demo when I went early in the season last year. They had ALL the vendors with boots, bindings, skis and boards. I think it was a $150 deposit and you got a ticket which you gave to the vendor when you took the equipment out, and got back when you returned. You could try out as much as you wanted, assuming the equipment wasn't out on the mountain. At the end of the day you returned the ticket and got your deposit. I would recommend that or something similar.

The loft at camelback does "high end line" demos for something like $30. I don't know all the rules. Nestors does a demo day at CB and presumabely other mountains. Hunter had a HUGE demo when I went early in the season last year. They had ALL the vendors with boots, bindings, skis and boards. I think it was a $150 deposit and you got a ticket which you gave to the vendor when you took the equipment out, and got back when you returned. You could try out as much as you wanted, assuming the equipment wasn't out on the mountain. At the end of the day you returned the ticket and got your deposit. I would recommend that or something similar.

30494[/snapback]

That sounds ideal, I'll contact hunter (and others) as the season approaches and find out when and where they do these kind of demo days. I'll give the loft a call too.

Thanks

It's more than just the length.  I've ridden boards that were the same length, but because of a difference in width, cut and flex they really felt different.  The ability to really carve and hold an edge and snap out of a turn change more with the stiffness.  tell us what kind of riding your in to and we could recommend where to start.

30492[/snapback]

Well I'm 2 years in and managed a pretty good season last year with lots of (short) days and some weekend trips to killy. I am still on the learning curve but am really enjoying myself now on all that CB/blue has to offer, though Killy has a few runs that still scare the crap out of me. I hate moguls but have learnt to deal with them.

I've been on the park once, may venture in a few times this year but this will not be my main "thing".

Most of the people I ride with (other than my kids) are skiers (not freestylers) so that tends to dictate the type of riding I do most (long fast runs).

I'm 5'11" , 190lb, currently on a 158.5 M3 discord, Technine Dominator bindings. I love this set-up but I'm just really interested now to see what else is out there.

My one criticism of the current board is that it can be a little "nervous" through fast straight sections where the board is flat, especially when it's icy. This might just be me, but that's the whole point of wanting to try some other set-ups.

To me, it sounds like you want a very stable cruising board. At your weight I wouldn't go much lower than a 158. If memory serves me the discord is a park board, so you might want something a little bit stiffer (this may help with your flat straight fast issues, as will more practice). I just bought a fairly stiff 154 and wish I had something closer to a 156 or even 158, I weigh around 150 pounds. A shorter board will in general be less stable, and have more chatter at speeds. Unless you want to ride the park more, I just don't see a shorter board as being a positive thing. The larger stiffer boards will take a little more work to move around but at higher speeds, thats not an issue, and the stability you get at those speeds makes it worthwhile.

• 3 months later...

you can still get the best of both worlds. the criteria that you are looking for are typically opposites, but you are not out of luck. you need to find a damp board for that stability that you desire, and at the same time, you can size to fit your needs. companies that typically produce damp boards are neversummer and even prior. Unity's sintered sidewall construction may also provide what you need. If you want to look into other brands, go for a stiffer model. One interesting upcomer for this season is the ride dfc dh with slimwall dampening.

get an atomic radon..i have one and it controled very nice on the ice,its really light and in the park its a little stiff but i dont do to many butters so it was nice for me...but it might be even better for u sence u weight more..i weight about 120 when i used this(last year)

i was looking at the atomic hatchet as a dork around board. they make boards with tech at such a value. they are often avoided because at heart they truly are a ski manufacturer. one day, im going to have to look past that and just look at them as a company with vast snow sport experience and give these boards a try.