Hot wax

LineSki

I was thinking when you scrape off the excess wax when you get done hot waxing to get a smoother surface, cant you just leave it on. What would happen, you just dont go as fast? It would last longer too, anybody do it?

31209[/snapback]

Yep. Your bases will feel sticky on the snow for a run or two as it wears off. No big deal. If you hot wax with a warm (soft) wax such as a yellow, it'll come right off, especially with crappy manmade snow.

But if you wax with a really hard, cold weather wax (green), then go out on a powder day, the excess wax will stay on all day and be a pain in the butt.

Remember: you really aren't skiing with a coat of wax between your ski base and the snow. The wax is absorbed into the base like a sponge and is inside the base material.

Unless you are brushing A LOT after scraping, you're still skiing on a coat of wax anyway.

But, in the end, it's highly recommended that you give your bases a few scrapes, even if you're feelin' lazy.

Edited by ski999

Sometimes we don't bother to scrape when we use warm wax, and it doesn't make much difference if it is just free skiing. Extra wax on the surface is slow, so don't race with it.

Cold wax left on can make you ski in slow motion. It's nasty stuff, and hard to scrape off when you are on the hill.

I suppose it could on a microscopic level. Bases that are new have sharply defined peaks and valleys. That's why brand new race skis need to be broken in to ski their fastest. Also, skis (and boards) that have just been stone ground are also slow. Skiing rounds off the peaks.

Hard wax that hasn't been scraped will remain on the bases in streaks.

• 2 months later...

Thin wins; thick sticks!

Concerning Whacks, as mentioned in the review I posted in the Whacks topic in the Classifieds section, its very thick, durable, lasting wax, and therefore, it's difficult to scrape off. To be honest, there were times I didn't even fully scrape, but I was still clipping along, haha! This is not a wax you can just ride off so for maximum performance please scrape.

-adrian

Edited by skitzo