K2 Apache Recons

volklyokel

Today, I went to my favorite local ski shop (in Reisterstown, MD) to do a little "research" and came out having spent way more that I wanted on a new set of K2 Apache Recons. Its the second pair of skis in three years that that particular salesman has "helped" me to choose (thanks Van!). The thing is, he's really good and knows exactly what he's talking about. The Recons are being set-up right now and I'll have them by next Friday. I got them for Utah, but I'll ski them a little here to check them out, especially if we get a day with a nice natural dumping of snow. Then I'll ship them out west.

Given that there was a thread that talked about Recons and 6 Stars in one sentence (now closed), I'm happy to broach that subject again, but until I get a chance to ride the Recons, I'm not sure I'll have a whole lot to say.

Last season, I was in Utah during a stretch of time when little snow fell (which is abnormal), so most everything (even off-piste) was "packed powder" and my old trusty P50's did me just fine. This year, I'm banking on a slight shift in the jet stream to provide for a slightly more snowy period (hope-hope!) and so I figured what I really ought to have out there is something that will work in practically anything.

Two seasons ago, I was in Utah when the Wasatch picked up 12 and 15 inch dumpings. To get the P50's to float, I had to really let them build up some speed. I looked kind of funny, and I felt like I was trying to do a keystone cops style of powder skiing. Everything was in fast motion. This year, if I should be fortunate enough to get that good powder I'm hoping for, during the couple weeks I'll be out there, I think the Recons will afford me a nice graceful ride.

I'm having them set it up with Marker 1200 bindings and I picked up a set of Dalbello V-Tech slippers to lash onto them. So I'm looking forward to testing out the combo ASAP. Any other thoughts or comments? I'll post my first impressions once I've had the chance to test them out.

VolklYokel - with a little K2 on the side

I am saving the use of my Recons until my husband "gives" them to me on Christmas. Besides, it's still early season conditions here. But my XP's are still super skis (grandpa to Recon). Only issue is they are not created to handle a lot of boilerplate. Some is fine, but they have to be kept tuned.