opening day

gcleary47

ill be there (which doesn't say much cuz i'm there everyday) but yea, as papa said..we have 5 rails/boxes set up on the bottom of fife and drum.. from what i know,there will be a decent amount of people heading out to the mountain when they get off work or school...

so does this mean roundtop is open? if so how mant trails? hows the park?

RT is open! I just checked the webcams and it looks pretty empty (at 6:00pm). I'll be there tomorrow, Friday, hopefully at 9:00AM if the roads aren't too bad. Hope we get a good dumping of natural snow, I might get a chance to try the new K2 Recons tomorrow! Otherwise, I'll be on Volkl Six Stars. - VY

Today (12/9) was the first full day of RT being open. Arrived around 9:30 and slapped on the Recons to start and made three trips down Minuteman. Heard from a lift operator that Minuteman had been groomed early in the morning but that about three more inches of snow fell on top of the groomed surface. It was a fun ride, but with so many folks having already been down it got choppy around 10AM. I moved over to Fife and Drum, smaller, but ungroomed.

The Recons handled well in today's slight powder; and I'd call them "acceptable" on harder packed stuff. They will be just the trick for Utah powder which is considerably deeper, drier and lighter than the stuff we get here. I saw four other guys riding 2005-06 Recons, so they are definitely popular.

After lunch, I went back to the Six Stars and just mosied up and down the Fife and Drum lift and worked on honing-in on my summer-degraded skill set on Fanny Hill, which was fully groomed. Only ran about 4800 feet of vert for the day, the bunny slopes are frightfully short. I left when the lift line began to last 10+ minutes. I figure that there will be many more days.

Hope everybody enjoys their first day back on the hill. VY

Links to today's pics:

View from the top of Minuteman

Top of Minuteman lift