Finally got a scratch

bigdaddyk

Well, I knew it would happen sooner or later....I was going down Telstar on Friday morning and went over a rock, that was hard to see until you were on top of it. Needless to say, it put a nice scratch in the under side base of one of my skis. Is there anything that you can fill this in, or do you have to get them ground down? I don't think it's real bad, but I'm just curious because I know you can epoxy the top part of the skis.

Edited by bigdaddyk

There is a product called p-tex used to repair bases. It can be dripped on using a candel or a special p-tex gun. There are a number of threads discussing p-tex already. The search can probobly provide you with a number of good resources.

epoxy is needed if its a core shot.

I've had trouble with that, because i always lose the epoxy bond when i fill in with ptex afterwards(because of the heat) Tognar has stuff called metalgrip (copolymer) which bonds to metal, wood, and fiberglass, and ptex. You use it prior to using ptex. Tognar has a lot of info on their site, and they sell anything you would ever need.h

There is a product called p-tex used to repair bases. It can be dripped on using a candel or a special p-tex gun. There are a number of threads discussing p-tex already. The search can probobly provide you with a number of good resources.

yeah p tex works real good my friends bro filled all the big scratches on my ski with p tex

yeah p tex works real good my friends bro filled all the big scratches on my ski with p tex

It's actually base material. It's just slightly lower grade base material that you melt into the base to patch it up. It takes a little bit to get used to it, but after that it works like a charm.

Usually if the scratches run with the direction of the ski it does not effect performance. I also read somewhere that p-tex does not absorb wax like base material, so you don't want to go overboard with the p-tex.

any ptex repairs will be "extruded" and not the best for wax absorption.

high grade ptex can be close to sintered molecular weight and actually be better than most extruded bases.

of course gouges all affect performance, and all base repairs help. dont sweat the small stuff, but be sure to take care of the core. remember its all about the rider.

Edited by skitzo

any ptex repairs will be "extruded" and not the best for wax absorption.

high grade ptex can be close to sintered molecular weight and actually be better than most extruded bases.

of course gouges all affect performance, and all base repairs help. dont sweat the small stuff, but be sure to take care of the core. remember its all about the rider.

:yes , and if your board is sintered, it's not a huge difference. Even if it doesn't absorb as much wax, i don't think you'll really notice.