Friday Feb 24th

sexkitten

Conditions were really good early and we got to ski quite a few first tracks. As a matter of fact, the first few trails we skiied were Bob, Sexkitten and...well... no one else. Being a weekday, the crowds were pretty much nonexistant in the morning and it stayed very sparse most of the day. The weather was fairly warm and the sun was bright but it was hella windy and the gusts at the top of the mt. were crazy. Bob did quite a few runs in the mini park and got a lot of practice jumping, since we were the only ones in there. We checked out the main park, which is so small compared to Blue & BC. The pipe was tiny but they were playing "My Goodies" so I can't hate too much. Everything, small as it was, seemed seemed well maintained and the snow was oh so frosty and granular which equals FAST. Around 11:30 they closed the quad by the double black because they said the wind gusts were over 40mph and it was unsafe. It really sucked the way they did it becuase they decided to close but didn't post someone at "the point of no return" to tell people. We ended up skiing into the stantion only to be told that we had to turn around and hike uphill to use the triple that only goes halfway up. Needless to say Bob was pretty bent. I am not sure why that quad was unsafe to operate but the all of the other lifts were OK, but hey, that's just me. Because of this I did not get a chance to ski the double black, but it looked pretty icy at that point anyway. The 3 single blacks on the other side were in the best shape of any trail I have skied this year and we had a ton of fun skiing those. After lunchtime the wind and the softening snow made for pretty bumpy/ rutty conditions. Most of the trails that weren't groomed/ packed powder sucked becuase the wind and skiers/ riders had pushed most of the loose the powder into giants bumps and ruts. This exposed alot of the ice underneath on the steeper parts of the trails and made for really messy flats. A ton of people were falling, and I may have taken a spill myself on an icy patch on the double blue, maybe. Overall the day was good, my only complaint would be that CB should have handled the lift closing better. It really seemed like CB's management was like "Hey, it's lunch break time and we have no one to cover the quad. Since there isn't a crowd today, lets just close it and hope no one says anything".

Yeah...That lift closing shit was un-called for. You would think they would invest in a PA system...I read this happens often...

"Hey Patrons of our mountain, we just decided to close the quad on the left side of the mountain....last chance or you're walking...."

I guess this is what you get when you go to a mountain that really doesn't give a shit about the money you spend there.

Even better We took a day off of work to go there and paid to ski the day with limited crowds, as in Friday as opposed to Saturday.

I can say that the conditions were good and it seemed to be more windy in the morning than when they closed but I didn't have my anemometer with me so I guess I could be wrong.

Needless to say they handled the situation pretty poorly and I have mow made the observation that it is not worth going past Blue unless you're going to Gore, Killington, Stowe, etc....

Thank you Camelcrap for educating me on the best way to spend my money on skiing...lesson learned.

It's a shame, maybe it was the "new" factor, but it was actually a fun mountain to ski, until thay crammed all of the people on to one quad that is.

:angry::angry::angry::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:upyers

unfortunately, you can't go to camelback on windy days. they seem to close the upper mountain as soon as the winds get to around 30 mph. the single blacks are more challenging than the double black anyway. when conditions are good, camelback is more fun because of the variety in trails - blue only has a handful of trails. but in adverse weather conditions, blue is definitely way better.

unfortunately, you can't go to camelback on windy days. they seem to close the upper mountain as soon as the winds get to around 30 mph. the single blacks are more challenging than the double black anyway. when conditions are good, camelback is more fun because of the variety in trails - blue only has a handful of trails. but in adverse weather conditions, blue is definitely way better.

I love Humps and I totally had the BEP song in my head while skiing it.

The top section of the stevenson (quad that was shut down) is all exposed above the trees. As a general rule, its shut down with 40+mph gusts, regardless of how many people are there. Blue's quad is bette for this, because it usually isn't very far off the ground.

Turning off a quad for a few hours in wind beats it derailing, and being down for however long it takes for an investigation (probably longer than a week)

Service at CB is great for me, mostly cause I know a bunch of people who work there, and they uhh don't hate me :)

The top section of the stevenson (quad that was shut down) is all exposed above the trees. As a general rule, its shut down with 40+mph gusts, regardless of how many people are there. Blue's quad is bette for this, because it usually isn't very far off the ground.

Turning off a quad for a few hours in wind beats it derailing, and being down for however long it takes for an investigation (probably longer than a week)

Service at CB is great for me, mostly cause I know a bunch of people who work there, and they uhh don't hate me :)

I am all for safety, so I understand the closure, but I wish they had handled it better. They could have used the PA to announce the closure or posted on of the lifties, who were all standing around talking, at the "point of no return" so the people still on the mountain could have avoided the closed lift. I was very disapointed with CB's service, which sucks cause the mountain itself was pretty fun. This was only my second visit to CB and based on what I saw it is most likely my last. Oh well.