pics of Shawnee Mountain from Camelback

emtp563

I believe the mountain in that picture is actualy Alpine. I not positive, but that seems like it is more in the right place than shawnee.

Wow, I can't believe you were the first one to notice. I checked out Shawnee's trail map and Alpine's trail map. It looks like that is Alpine Mountain, not Shawnee. Plus, looking in that direction from Camelback is looking due East. Alpine is in Analomink, PA, which is due Eastr from Tannersville. I always thought Alpine was NE of Tannersville, guess I was wrong. Here is a map cut and paste:

post-51-1141197367_thumb.jpg

my favorite view from any ski area down here is at jack frost, on the double you take on east mtn and you turn around... you see the lehigh (however its spelled) river or something...it looks so awesome...especially if its snowing

I completely agree, first time I went to Frost I noticed it. I would really like to bring my camera and get some good shots from that lift. I'm pretty sure you can turn around and see Boulder out in the distance, too. Note to self: Bring camera next time I'm at Frost. :rock

Wow, I can't believe you were the first one to notice. I checked out Shawnee's trail map and Alpine's trail map. It looks like that is Alpine Mountain, not Shawnee. Plus, looking in that direction from Camelback is looking due East. Alpine is in Analomink, PA, which is due Eastr from Tannersville. I always thought Alpine was NE of Tannersville, guess I was wrong. Here is a map cut and paste:

post-51-1141197367_thumb.jpg

both shawnee and alpine are due east of camelback, but alpine is closer (~6 or 7 miles away compared with about 11 miles away). so it makes sense that the picture is actually of alpine.

I completely agree, first time I went to Frost I noticed it. I would really like to bring my camera and get some good shots from that lift. I'm pretty sure you can turn around and see Boulder out in the distance, too. Note to self: Bring camera next time I'm at Frost. :rock

Here's a couple pics from last year that I took with a camera phone, but it doesn't do the view any justice. You have to see it in person.

Edited by bigdaddyk

i'm kind of stranded due to the icy roads and a bit bored. i found this website that shows pretty clear satellite images and decided to look for ski places. here are camelback, alpine, and shawnee to see where each one is in relation to each other. it looks like alpine is northeast of camelback and shawnee is due east (i had to drag the map to the below coordinates to find them).

Camelback

Latitude: 41 degrees, 2' 53'' N

Longitude: 75 degress, 21' 9'' W

Alpine

Latitude: 41 degrees, 6' 41'' N

Longitude: 75 degrees, 13' 43'' W

Shawnee

Latitude: 41 degrees, 2' 11'' N

Longitude: 75 degrees, 4' 39'' W

I just had all 3 on the satlite mape as well as pics from their sites and It's really hard to tell, but now I'm leaning tward Shawnee. I don't know. We need to position someone a CB and someone at Shawnee with an ariel flare. That should settle it.

Great thought, I just looked up the satellite images, and the ski area visible from CB is indeed shawnee. Alpine faces the wrong direction and will not be visible.

We need to position someone a CB and someone at Shawnee with an ariel flare. That should settle it.

That sounds like a scene from the last Lord of the Rings movie.

It depends on where the picture is taken from and the angle at which the camera was facing. I can't tell from the picture. If it is facing directly east, then it is Shawnee. If it is Northeast, then it is Alpine.

i took a look at the satellite images again and now think that it is actually shawnee based on the angle at which the trails run.

if the camera was pointed northeast towards alpine, then the trails should appear to run towards you if it is alpine that we are looking at (they do not run towards the camera).

if it was pointed towards shawnee, then the trails should appear to run to the left - similar to the eastern camelback trail that we see in the picture. this is what we observe from the picture. therefore, it seems like this is shawnee and the name of the thread needs to be changed again.

Edited by am476

Amist all this confusion, this is turned out to be an interesting thread. Does any one here actually ski at Shawnee?

Does anyone here ski at Alpine :rofl

If we knew the two had different color lights, it would be simple since shawnee has orange ones.