Tahoe California

shadow8993

Yo, has anyone ever been out to tahoe before? My family is going the last week of march. It's our first trip out west and we really don't know what to expect. We're looking for some advise on how to get our gear out there safely and if anyone knows what conditions will be like this time of year. My little sister is also a beginner skier, and both my parents have bad knees; so if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep them alive it would be appreciated.

message DHarrisburg he lives out their. and why does it matter you only gonna get what 2 days if your luckly wile your sitting you your hotel room lessoing to your mom and sister complane aboout how cold it is. think of me out at steam boat enjoying the snow. muhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Which resort(s) are you going too? There are 15 of them around the lake. Where are you staying?

With young children and bad knees, I guess I would say, stay at the big places like Heavenly if you are south and Squaw if you are north - only because they have the most to offer. All the other "big ones" like Meadows, Northstar, Sierra, Kirkwood are ready to recieve the tourists - so you really don't have anything to worry about with any of those. They are all big enough to not get bored and all have the same programs. Heavenly has the best views. Some of the smaller places on the other hand, like sugar bowl, cater to the beginner if my memory serves me right.

If you are motivated and have skills along with experience at new places, I would suggest making a safari out of your first trip west. Get a rental SUV in Reno. Go to a different place each day be the first on and get early to bed, get a bunch of disposables and get them developed before you leave. Don't let the cameras go through the x-ray machines. Digital cameras are the best.

Late season Tahoe is notorious for sierra cement. Good luck with that, you are at the mercy of the weather.

As far as packing - some airlines are cracking down on the 50lb weight restriction. Don't overpack!! Your outside layers can be used on multiple days. Concentrate on the underlayers. You only need one sweater for example unless it is important that no one see you in the lodge or bar wearing the same thing from the day before.

You can click on this link - scroll down to last January '05 - there are some basic comments if you click on it about each of the places we went. http://www.paskiandride.com/forums/index.p...iew_old&mem=258

yeah, weather is going to be hit or miss. they will still have pleanty of base, but at that time it might start getting heavy. there is for sure the chance for cold weather and fresh powder, but there is also the chance for 60 degrees and sunshine.

just go to whatever resorts you can. pretty much all of them have easy trails and harder areas. no matter where you go its going to be so much better than riding in PA so just go and enjoy it.