Colorado

kragan

Day 2, March 2nd

Waking up still finding it hard to believe that I was finally in Colorado and about to ski the rocky mountains for the first time. Headed out to Keystone so my buddy could pick up his skis/gear from his patrol locker, then hit an awesome little coffe place in Dillon for some breakfast, then off to Vail.

Parked in the underground parking at Vail Village, booted up and walked to the place that I rented my skis from. I got a pair of Volkl Supersport 168. Rode the Vista Bahn Express, the longest lift ride I have ever been on, and that only got me half way up the mountain. Skied over to Mountain Top Express and reached the peak. We skied over to the edge of Sun Up bowl and when I looked around I was absolutely amazed. Nothing but bowls spreading for 7 MILES!!! I saw a lift WAY, WAY off in the distance and asked my buddy if that was still Vail, I could not believe it. :rock Unfortunately I can't remember all of the names of the runs we took, but we started out with some groomers so that I could get used to the skis. The first run was unreal, I could not believe how long it took to get back to a lift, it was crazy. After that run we hit some of the EPIC back bowls. Unfortunately it was rather warm that day and a lot of the exposed bowls were slushed up ("mad apple sauce" - Doug) and the Volkl's were the absolute wrong ski for that. We mixed our day between groomers that were cut through the bowls, some open glades, a few bumps, and then some crud. We hit most of the bowls and made our way out to Blue Sky Basin which was unreal :rock . I needed to pinch myself on every run and each lift back up, it was just stupid how amazing it was. I don't know exactly how many runs we took, but I know that my legs burned more than ever before.

The only "bad" thing about the day was the temperature. It was in the mid to upper 30s on the peaks with bright sunlight, which now only made the snow not great but I was also way over dressed and was sweating my butt off at the end of each run. Now me being way out of shape does not help any. The base area around Vail Village was easily into the mid 40s and with the bright sun, most people were walking through the village with t-shirts on.

That night we headed back to his place, grabbed a few slices of pizza and just hung out around town. Needless to say I passed out pretty early that night, and needed the sleep for the next day.

The first time I went out west I was completely amazed. It took me like three weeks to just realize how freaking sweet it was. It was the greatest skiing I ever had. I hope I can go back in a couple years once I get a new job. To everyone who's going out west you'll love it and I hope you guys have a great time.

Hopefully next year will be my first time out west. Im already starting to save up for it. Ill probably be heading out there early to mid january.

Kragen sounds like an unreal trip. Have fun.