Vernon Valley/Great Gorge

Ski

Just to clear something up, there used to be a Playboy Club (which had some affiliation, but I'm not sure the exact arrangement) at Vernon Valley/Great Gorge, which now known as Mountain Creek.

What was a Playboy Club? Popular back in the 1970's, they were combination hotel/restaurant/bars/dance clubs. Who went to them? Surprisingly, a lot of familes, as well as honeymoon couples and general bar types. Back in those days, a Playboy Club was a somewhat high end resort that offered private membership for regular dinner goers and weekend stays.

Playboy Bunnies used to walk around with trays of cigarettes for sale, as well as being the drink wait staff. They also had Polaroid cameras and would pose for pictures with everyone that asked. They wore black outfits, with fishnets, and bunny ears and tails. Pretty tame by today's standards.

No more "dirty" than you might say a typical Hooters would be. In fact, it was basically like a Hooters, just darker with lots of red crushed velvet and piano music.

So my family used to have dinner Friday nights, then ski all day on Saturday. VV/GG and the Playboy Club were where we spent a lot of winter weekends when I was in junior high.

I just figured I'd explain an earlier post in which I mentioned the Playboy Club. I got a PM from someone that suggested someone else felt I was "creepy" in mentioning it. I'm terribly sorry if Playboy Bunnies sitting on kid's laps for polaroids is a shocking and offensive image. But check out Ski Magazine from that era and you'll find that skiing and that sort of "social scene" were intertwined.

theres a restaraunt near there thats a converted barn, silo (sp?) and all. its got some prety good food but the best thing for me (keep in mind i was 12 when i went) was the silo play ground. it had this HUGE (at the time) pitch black slide. when you went down it, you would create tons of static and see yourself get shocked. you could watch the path of electricty. like, from your hand to the edge of the slide there would be this "lightining strike"

it was cool.

Edited by Shadows

That's mad awesome. Reminds of those lamp things at like Spencer's wear you touch it and the electricity moves to that spot. I went to hooters once with my friend. His brother drove us. We walked in and like everyone turned around because we were like 12. It wasn't that great, and the wings were cold!!