teflon? question for ski999

VTmark

ok i whent down to the ski bum today to help a friend buy a new board. and i saw they had some teflon overlay stuff. so the bottle it says that it should last for 10-15 days on the snow. know i realise thats compleat BS, but my question is should i just re-apply befor each run i take out at nationals this weekend? is it worth carring the apclater in my pocket the morning of the races?

Overlays by their very definition only last a short time. They lay on top of what you've waxed into your ski.

Pure fluoro is in the Teflon family and does not melt. You only rub it into the waxed base. You can expect a fluoro overlay to last a few gates. But the biggest benefit comes from the "push" you get...it's like a head start.

Try this place: http://racewax.com/buyoverlay.html

It's Dr. D's Wicked Wax. The little black film cannister at the top left is only $12.99 and will be all you need, other than a piece of cork. A champagne cork is fine, btw.

It's basic fluoro, but KILLER fast. Teflons repell water, so it's only good at 25 degrees and warmer. In fact, the warmer the better.

It's easy to use. Sprinkle it on near the start area. You can use quite a bit....sort of how much wax you'd use if hot waxing. Then rub it in with a cork. I don't mind leaving excess powder. Then flip your bases over in the snow to cool.

Good stuff.

Also, that place is in PA and you'll get it in a day or two...

EDIT: VT, sorry, I didn't realize you'd bought something. YES. Reapply before every run. Any overlay rubs off very fast. If you can, I'd still recommend the stuff in that link. I'd hook you up with some if you were local...I only trust wax stuff that I've actually used myself.

Is it powder or paste?

Ooooooh, Zardoz...I'll be honest with you, VT, that I'm not a big fan of Zardoz. It's easy to use and it'll make your skis a little faster, but there are other, cheaper products that are a lot better. I don't wanna screw with your psych, so I'll tell you that I'd use it if nothing else was available.

Use a thin application. Don't gunk it up on your bases. Just barely make them shine. I'd put it on before warm-up/fresskiing, then definitely add a fresh coat before each race run.

Good luck!