Elk Thurs. 3-30

bigdaddyk

Went to Elk from 8:30 to 11:15. The snow is getting really soft, early. It was 47 when I arrived and 57 when I left. Bare spots are popping up, but there is still a lot of good snow. I had to watch out for rocks, more today than in previous days. I think they are getting pushed around from the groomer, because some of them were sitting on top of the snow. They were pushing snow into the woods, between Tuscarora and Slalom, to connect the two. Tuscarora is closed, so I assume this has something to do with the race, this weekend. For as warm as it has been, conditions are still decent early. If you have them, bring rock skis...that way you don't have to worry so much. I only have one set, but have been fortunate enough to avoid any problems by staying on the trails w/ good coverage. I assume Slalom is the course they use for races??? If it is, it has really good snow coverage, for anybody racing this weekend.