boa

Blong131

I had a pair of DC boas and didn't like them at all. It takes me about 30 seconds longer to lace up boots and I'd rather spend an extra minute in the lodge than have to retighten the boas after a few laps. I never had a wire break but they definately were starting to splinter when I finally got rid of them. I had two rachets completely blow out and one entirely strip, so when I rode I had to tighten it as far as possible then take an old leash and tighten it as much as possible around the top of the boot just to keep the boot on my leg.

Honestly I think the Boa system is marketed towards people who don't really ride more than 10 days a season. Most people who put a good amount of time in them end up with some sort of problem. Also, you can't tighten them as much as you can a regular laced boot. Personally I like riding soft boots but I lace them up pretty tight so that by the third or fourth lap they have the perfect amount of flex.

Edit: Also, for the record I'm not a big fan of any speedlacing system. I tried a pair of K2 speedlacing boots last year and hated them. They had an upper and lower lace so that you could tighten certain zones to your liking but I could never get them to my liking. It doesn't take that long to lace boots up, I don't need any gizmos to speed up the process.

Edited by DHarrisburg

i ahve never tried the boa system but my firends have said that it doesn't tighten very well

i ahve tried the salomon speed lacing it was great for the upper half of my boot , but i could never get the bottom to stay tight while tightening the top half

the pair i had u needed to lace the upper loops but it was the string attached to a single point which made it esy to tighten around the lower shin

Also, for the record I'm not a big fan of any speedlacing system.

My Salomons have a lace that sort of clips at the ankle. It definately doesn't make lacing any faster, and it does take some getting used to but....

Seperating the lower and upper portions of the foot means a better lace tension for the different parts of the feet. It's not something I couldn't live without, but it does make for a better boot fit.

I love my Boa's. I have a K2 T1. Very stiff boot, have probably 15 days on them so far, I expect 35 days or more this year on them. On my boot the Boa is on the inner lace, you can get it plenty tight, even too tight. Don't know how it is on the outside (T1s have laces on the outside). No problems fraying, but they are on the inside. They don't won't break becuase of tension the wire is really strong, the main issue is fraying and then breaking, which might happen on the outside. Overall I wouldn't avoid them, worse comes to worse they have a lifetime warranty (at least on K2 boots). As for speed of lacing them, I work at a shop and I can put a Boa boot on faster than laces, just don't try to turn it round and round all day with two fingers, just slap it around and it will spin faster than you can tie laces by far.