DDDRRRROOOOPPP

Blong131

ok so i want to make a portable drop in that i could keep in the back of my explorer and take to urban rails over the winter...i have some vague ideas, like making it hinged to fold up, or making pieces that fit together...anyone have some good ideas?

What are the dementions of the explorer you want to put it in and how much are you willing to spend?

EDIT:

Here's one I built, but there's very slim chance you could get it into an explorer. The ramp and the tower come appart, but it's a pain and they weigh a ton (~50-70lbs.).

Drop In

If you give me a more specific idea of what you going for I can definatly help you turn the ideas into something you could build.

Edited by pyro_boarder

arite id want it to fit in a 2 by 3 by 3 space, and my id pretty much just use lumber in my dads workshp...he has a shitload off it, enought to build whateer i want...so yea the only money id be spending is on hardware

why cant you just get a piece of plywood and set it up against the back of the explorer?

well iwont do that exactly...ut it gives me some ideas...

but what about when the place is like up a set of stairs and real small wher my car coulnt get to?

too much weight on the roof?

i meant coming out of the trunk area. but youd have to duck i guess to get past the hatchback

do explores have hatcbacks? im thinking of escapes

well iwont do that exactly...ut it gives me some ideas...

but what about when the place is like up a set of stairs and real small wher my car coulnt get to?

just make an acute triangle frame (so it fits in the car) and lay plywood on it.

Edited by Shadows

put hinges on it so it can fold flat. i'd go about 30-35 degrees for the angle or you're going to need a lot more snow to smooth out the transition. we set up a picnic table at about a 45 that was about 4 feet off the ground and that gave us plenty of speed, but we had to use some extra snow to make the transition manageable.

put hinges on it so it can fold flat. i'd go about 30-35 degrees for the angle or you're going to need a lot more snow to smooth out the transition. we set up a picnic table at about a 45 that was about 4 feet off the ground and that gave us plenty of speed, but we had to use some extra snow to make the transition manageable.

that was actually my plan...my only fear is that the hinges wont be strong enough...im asumming i should make it able to hold like 180lbs?

in after lame they do this exact thing but it is off of the roof of a subaru wagon

they just have a plank of wood from the roof to the ground

the plank has small pieces of wood horizontally acroos the woood liek a ladder and set up a snow trany at the bottom

you would probably need a piece of wood to put across the top of the car

is 3 ft tall enough for the drop in?

im gona make it all fold up...the actual ramp portion will forl in half and the legs will fold up, then the deck will ffold up over the already folded in half ramp portion

i made a bunch of drawings instead of listening today in soc. and i used all that shit i learned in geometry last year, which i nevver thought id use!

I made one that was portable and worked pretty well. It used 1 sheet of plywood and maybe 15 feet of 2x4, was about 4' high but I set it up on top of a mini hill so the drop was about 6 feet, that was plenty of speed. I'll post drawings later.

Basically, I cut the plywood into a 3'x4' and 5' by 4' section. then I hinged the 5 foot section onto the 3 foot section. I used barn door hinges you get at home depot, maybe liek $10 and they were weighted for some rediculous weight, they weren't the weak point. To hold the platform up, I used 2 saw horses I already had. built the thing upside down, so when the saw horses were sitting upside down on the bottom of the piece of wood you sit on, i screwed 1x2's in that ran the width of the platform to hold the saw horse in place. So when you set it up, you put up the 2 saw horses, then you lay the platform on top so that it locks onto the saw horses. THere was a bungee cord that went around the saw horse so that the platform wouldn't lift up off them. The biggest problem was the transition, it had too much angle. I changed to a 8' by 2' ramp but the same high the next year so that transition was smoother. I went from 5 ply 5/8" to 3 play 3/8" plywood and broke it, so you definately need at least 5/8" plywood for it. On mine I stapled that green grass indoor outdoor carpeting, becuase then you can pack snow on the ramp and it stays up way higher, and also doesn't scratch the board up.

A better solution would be to screw 2 2x4 into the bottom of the platform. Then make an A frame with this bracket on top.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...earchId=1259399

when you go to the place you pull the platform out of your car. Flip it upside down, attach the legs, squeeze them open so they bite the 2x4, and then put 1 screw in to make the A frame rigid. Then use wing nuts to attach the down ramp to the hinges. You can have it setup in less than 5 minutes. Shovel snow for 5, hit the rail, take it down for 5, and bail before security shows up. You can be in and out in 15 minutes + your riding time.

I made one that was portable and worked pretty well. It used 1 sheet of plywood and maybe 15 feet of 2x4, was about 4' high but I set it up on top of a mini hill so the drop was about 6 feet, that was plenty of speed. I'll post drawings later.

Basically, I cut the plywood into a 3'x4' and 5' by 4' section. then I hinged the 5 foot section onto the 3 foot section. I used barn door hinges you get at home depot, maybe liek $10 and they were weighted for some rediculous weight, they weren't the weak point. To hold the platform up, I used 2 saw horses I already had. built the thing upside down, so when the saw horses were sitting upside down on the bottom of the piece of wood you sit on, i screwed 1x2's in that ran the width of the platform to hold the saw horse in place. So when you set it up, you put up the 2 saw horses, then you lay the platform on top so that it locks onto the saw horses. THere was a bungee cord that went around the saw horse so that the platform wouldn't lift up off them. The biggest problem was the transition, it had too much angle. I changed to a 8' by 2' ramp but the same high the next year so that transition was smoother. I went from 5 ply 5/8" to 3 play 3/8" plywood and broke it, so you definately need at least 5/8" plywood for it. On mine I stapled that green grass indoor outdoor carpeting, becuase then you can pack snow on the ramp and it stays up way higher, and also doesn't scratch the board up.

A better solution would be to screw 2 2x4 into the bottom of the platform. Then make an A frame with this bracket on top.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...earchId=1259399

when you go to the place you pull the platform out of your car. Flip it upside down, attach the legs, squeeze them open so they bite the 2x4, and then put 1 screw in to make the A frame rigid. Then use wing nuts to attach the down ramp to the hinges. You can have it setup in less than 5 minutes. Shovel snow for 5, hit the rail, take it down for 5, and bail before security shows up. You can be in and out in 15 minutes + your riding time.

well...im completely lost...i think u just need to post some pics

what dimensions does it fold up to?