Race Wax Question for Dr. D

Ski

Okay, so I switched from Swix LF6, LF7, and LF8 low fluoro waxes to your FluoroMax Racing Wax (warm and cold)...then corking in your 5-micron fluoro when it's 25F or above.

This works for me and the price is certainly right. I race ASRA and my goals are more toward coaching than spending $50 for race preps.

But as a former and future race parent, I can tell you that 99% of fellow parents are clueless when it comes to helping their kids choose good waxes. And coaches add more confusion than help, most of the time. I recall the CAT team having a waxing clinic, but I think it could be much more simple.

Like:

"If you are a recreational NASTAR racer, then I recommend the following: "

or

"If you are a J4/5, then I recommend......"

and

I think it would be incredibly helpful to have very specific recommendations for Masters, J1's, ASRA, and whatever else, even just for a starting point. I'd also add things like a good HC wax is just fine for a J3 slalom, along with any reasons a J3 might want to use the same HF or LF for both GS and slalom events, just to have a consistant feel.

I have to tell you that I watched a coach explain to his kids the benefits of a rub on wax before a PARA event...and if coaches are recommending a crappy race day paste, then I can only imagine what non-skiing parents are giving their kids.

Okay, so I switched from Swix LF6, LF7, and LF8 low fluoro waxes to your FluoroMax Racing Wax (warm and cold)...then corking in your 5-micron fluoro when it's 25F or above.

This works for me and the price is certainly right. I race ASRA and my goals are more toward coaching than spending $50 for race preps.

But as a former and future race parent, I can tell you that 99% of fellow parents are clueless when it comes to helping their kids choose good waxes. And coaches add more confusion than help, most of the time. I recall the CAT team having a waxing clinic, but I think it could be much more simple.

Like:

"If you are a recreational NASTAR racer, then I recommend the following: "

or

"If you are a J4/5, then I recommend......"

and

I think it would be incredibly helpful to have very specific recommendations for Masters, J1's, ASRA, and whatever else, even just for a starting point. I'd also add things like a good HC wax is just fine for a J3 slalom, along with any reasons a J3 might want to use the same HF or LF for both GS and slalom events, just to have a consistant feel.

I have to tell you that I watched a coach explain to his kids the benefits of a rub on wax before a PARA event...and if coaches are recommending a crappy race day paste, then I can only imagine what non-skiing parents are giving their kids.

The only thing is money is always a factor as well as personal ability and determination. (10 years ago...) My son won 1 trophy and that was fine for him, he knew he wasn't the best and actually didn't care so much about it. But he loved being part of the team and the race scene. In this case, although my son and another child are the same level they may wish to use different waxes. So I separate mine into three levels, basic (FluoroMax), advanced (T-Series) and ultimate (Hybrid) and let the parents decide how far they want to go. The system you use is what I suggest as an introduction to my system because it is simple. Anyway, this is a really good point and I have something along these lines written in my website (click DrD Suggests section). Take a look and give me more suggestions.

Thanks,

DrD

I have to admit that your "Wax Chart" was the one link I missed. That pretty much spells it all out, although I'd still suggest a 'waxing for dummies' sort of link. I've been waxing/tuning my own race skis since the early 80's and probably wouldn't have ever tried your FluoroMax if you hadn't included a free sample at some point. I just didn't feel confident as to exactly which of the Swix LF's it was replacing for me.

BTW, is there any way for you to accept PayPal at your site? Even if there's a service charge for using it, I always have a balance from selling gear and it's often like found money. I know it's the same for some of my friends, as well. Just thought I'd ask...

Thanks, Dr. D!

I have to admit that your "Wax Chart" was the one link I missed. That pretty much spells it all out, although I'd still suggest a 'waxing for dummies' sort of link. I've been waxing/tuning my own race skis since the early 80's and probably wouldn't have ever tried your FluoroMax if you hadn't included a free sample at some point. I just didn't feel confident as to exactly which of the Swix LF's it was replacing for me.

BTW, is there any way for you to accept PayPal at your site? Even if there's a service charge for using it, I always have a balance from selling gear and it's often like found money. I know it's the same for some of my friends, as well. Just thought I'd ask...

Thanks, Dr. D!

Funny how I overlooked making that clear on my website... I accept PayPal and all major credit cards, as a matter of fact my credit card merchant system is PayPal Payments Pro. Once you checkout then fill in your name, etc., you choose PayPal, CC's or check. I pay all the service charges on transactions, not the customer. I will fix that - thanks!

One last thing on the wax. My temperature ranges are actually broader than cited, the cited range is the sweet spot. This flexibility makes the wax very forgiving if you pick one and the weather changes or you just pick wrong. This flexibility is a great aid to new racers, parents and the like. It takes a lot of worry out of wax selection.