Two CB experiences this weekend

Timeless

aside from the excellent conditions this weekend, two other events stood out, one good, one less so:

Firstly, a happy ranger incident:

In contrast to most ranger dealings (involving whistles), I was approached by a yellow-jacket called Larry this weekend while riding with my kids and he presented them both with "tickets" to get a certificate from the welcome centre as "role model skier / riders" (cant think where they get that from :rolleyes: ).

Yes, I know it's a bit cheesy but at 6 and 10 they were both thrilled with this so thak you ranger Larry.

Second: private lesson experience.

I wanted to get a private ski lesson for my son so went to the welcome centre desk as required (before buying my "voucher") to see if a lesson was available around 10-10.30. It was 9.30. The man at the desk told me: " we cant tell you if we can give a private lesson until all the group lessons have lined up and we can see if we have any instructors left over, come back at 10 and it will be on a first come first served basis. And no you cant put your sons name down now to reserve a place"

I don't think this is acceptable given the amount you pay for a private lesson, it seems they are just used to take up the slack instructors after the (higher earning) group lessons are satisfied

interesting that there are 30 views and no comments. why does your school epxerience sound and feel so similar to other customer services?

It is somewhat typical of the customer service at CB, but on the other hand it was a busy weekend in peak season and they are looking to maximise profits in a difficult season.

I'm not of the opinion that this is wrong, just thought it was worth mentioning.

More importantly, his instructor (Toni) was excellent and he is making good progress under their tuition. They really do have some excellent staff.

It is somewhat typical of the customer service at CB, but on the other hand it was a busy weekend in peak season and they are looking to maximise profits in a difficult season.

I'm not of the opinion that this is wrong, just thought it was worth mentioning.

More importantly, his instructor (Toni) was excellent and he is making good progress under their tuition. They really do have some excellent staff.

i was a snowboard instructor at CB a few years ago and i can tell you that some of the instructors are doing it just for the fact they get to ride for free, so most of the instructors really arent qualified at all. When we had to do instructor training a few kids couldnt even ride! I would only trust a few of the older instructors there

i was a snowboard instructor at CB a few years ago and i can tell you that some of the instructors are doing it just for the fact they get to ride for free, so most of the instructors really arent qualified at all. When we had to do instructor training a few kids couldnt even ride! I would only trust a few of the older instructors there

Interesting to hear that view from someone that has worked there, I have expressed some opinions on here before that the quality of instruction is extremely variable and some of those taking the younger kids in ski school really do not inspire much confidence. However, both of the one-on-one sessions my son has taken there this year have been with very good instructors, maybe it's easier to get better ski instructors than boarders?

I don't think age is relevant though, I learnt with a very young guy (Bob) who was excellent and I was riding within 30 minutes, but I have had friends and relatives go through lessons with other instructors who were able to ride, but not teach.

Always always if you are going to pay for private instruction interview the ski school desk for a compatible instructor. Quite often the desk has not been able to provide answers and the ski school director has come out and got things situated. My kids always take at least one lesson a year, while it becomes harder each year to find good instruction, I have always found the best instructors available for them, you just need to ask for them.

when taking a private lesson you are more likely to get a good if not excellent instructor due to the fact you are paying more and the ski school wont just give a private to some one who has a hard time teaching. when i was there they usually gave the privates to the more experienced instructors who have been there for awhile, and the new or first time instructors get the group lessons.

Instruction is rather touchy a lot of places that you go. I took a snowboarding lesson in New Hampshire a couple years ago and the instructor could definitely rip, but he was possibly the worst instructor of anything that i've ever encountered. I took a group lesson at Shawnee 2 years ago and it was absolutely horrible. First they paired me with a 13 year old girl in our "advanced" lesson. Then the instructor kept asking why I wouldn't make tight "slalom-like" turns for him. I was wearing 18m sidecut skis. :banghead:banghead He then proceeded to teach me stem christy. He also had the gaul to ask me if I enjoyed the lesson when it was over. I told him that I had officially wasted my last dollar on the shawnee mt. ski school. As for camelback... I'm planning on taking a private lesson during the week sometime this winter. I'll let you all know how it goes. The only experience I have with the CB ski school is with a guy named Walt from the masters program. He was really competant, as he was a race coach there as well.

Metz, ask for Kieth Dickerson or call ahead and see if he is available. I hired him for Ridge 2 years ago for starting wand lessons he coaches on the CAT team but maybe still does lessons. I think you would like him, he is young and a good instructor. No nonsense type of guy.

aside from the excellent conditions this weekend, two other events stood out, one good, one less so:

Firstly, a happy ranger incident:

In contrast to most ranger dealings (involving whistles), I was approached by a yellow-jacket called Larry this weekend while riding with my kids and he presented them both with "tickets" to get a certificate from the welcome centre as "role model skier / riders" (cant think where they get that from :rolleyes: ).

Yes, I know it's a bit cheesy but at 6 and 10 they were both thrilled with this so thak you ranger Larry.

Second: private lesson experience.

I wanted to get a private ski lesson for my son so went to the welcome centre desk as required (before buying my "voucher") to see if a lesson was available around 10-10.30. It was 9.30. The man at the desk told me: " we cant tell you if we can give a private lesson until all the group lessons have lined up and we can see if we have any instructors left over, come back at 10 and it will be on a first come first served basis. And no you cant put your sons name down now to reserve a place"

I don't think this is acceptable given the amount you pay for a private lesson, it seems they are just used to take up the slack instructors after the (higher earning) group lessons are satisfied

I think both Camelback and the instructors would rather give you a private lesson if they could, but they get stuck teaching group lessons first. They can't really limit or predict how many people (mostly newbies) will buy rental/lesson packages at any given moment, and they are obligated to show those people how to at least use the equipment at a basic level. The amount of profit from the instruction portion of that package is probably minimal. For sure, the instructor makes considerably more from a private lesson and enjoys it a heck of a lot more.