Choose- Ski Roundtop - Ski Liberty - Ski Whitetail

BlaqkAudio

What is your favorite place to go?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite place to go?

• Ski Roundtop
    • Ski Liberty
    • Ski Whitetail
    • They All Suck

If there is a "they all suck" category, maybe there should be a "they're all great" category. That's the one I'd vote for.

I've had season tickets for Rountop for the last couple of years. A season ticket at any one of these ski areas is accepted at the other two, with substantial discounts if you head north to Windham in NY state (also owned by Snow Time Inc.).

Whitetail has the best vertical drop at about 900 feet, but it suffers in that most of the slopes face ESE and tend to get a little like mashed potatoes on sunny days with temps above freezing. Liberty and Roundtop have smaller vertical drops (on the order of 600 feet) and, basically, are good exercise hills. Both Liberty and Roundtop's "double black diamond runs" are very short, a couple hundred feet of drop at most, but there is some interesting terrain at both places.

I classify all three of these ski areas as nice family places. I rank their snow making and grooming to be on par with the best resorts. Lodges are nice, but especially so at Whitetail. Both Whitetail and Liberty feature a few high-speed lifts. No high speed lifts are found at Roundtop. Of the three, Roundtop is perhaps the least crowded, especially on week days (the Harrisburg school crowd shows up around 3pm), and it can get kind of tight on weekends and evenings when conditions are good.

I ski Roundtop the most, mainly because of it's ease of access from the Baltimore area. Runs like Upper Lafayette's Leap, Ramrod and Gunbarrel will give short adrenaline rushes. Roundtop is a mellow place with friendly skiers. I always have a good time there.

Come to Roundtop on a Friday and say "hi." I'll be the guy riding Supersport six-stars.

VolklYokel

Links: Roundtop | Liberty | Whitetail

• 11 months later...

We owe Liberty and Whitetail a visit this year. It's been 2 seasons since we were last there. RT is the most progressive in supporting all the various programs based on our visits last year. Every weekend, every day it seems they have something going on.

For you park riders, there is a very talented organized group of skiers that hang together. I am not sure how strong the snowboard group is.