Elk 2-23-07

bigdaddyk

I pulled into Elk at about 8:15 am and had to park in one of the lower lots and take the cattle truck to the lodge area. It was 18 degrees and snowing. Matter of fact, it snowed the whole morning that I was there, at times the snow came down pretty good. There was already about three to four inches of fresh powder on the hill, from overnight, and it kept coming down :drool . I concentrated on the side of the mountain serviced by the double chair...the quad just seems like it takes forever. The snow was nice and powdery and there were nice small piles to plow through on all of the diamonds...Susquehanna was especially fun. The slalom course was closed for collegiate races. I went down Lehigh a few time. Lehigh is a long narrow green trail, that apparently is only open when there is enough natural snow. I took a couple pics of the upper and lower section. The scenery on it is stunning. I would imagine it could be a little hairy on a crowded day, because it is narrow on the lower run. I got in 19 runs and called it a day at 1245 pm. I have to admit, this was by far the best conditions that I skied in this year. I talked to a few locals, and they said that the last storm, there was powdery snow ankle deep.

Edited by bigdaddyk

ththfuckyou7vr2tz1.gif for skiing powder this year when I didn't. The only time I skied powder was at Jay Peak in 6 inches of pow. It was also my last day at Jay Peak. They only had 10 trails open.

But great report. It sounds like you had fun. Take more pics though next time.

Edited by Danger

Saturday and today the conditions were awesome. Saturday sunny, no wind. But around noon it became super crowded. I got a full day ticket for $20 (some guy had vouchers to get rid of) and I was content leaving at 1:30. Today lift lines stayed pretty short and again great conditions.