so i was browsing the new rome website...

rgrwilco

and it rocks. ive never seen a companys website go so in depth on their products. you can view each individual piece of tech that goes into the boots boards and bindings.

then i came across the binding tech, and they are very outspoken about burton here, without mentioning them by name. i wonder if their stats are correct about the stance options?

http://www.romesnowboards.com/product/tech/binding/c-design/

-click on the 4x4 stance option

and it rocks. ive never seen a companys website go so in depth on their products. you can view each individual piece of tech that goes into the boots boards and bindings.

then i came across the binding tech, and they are very outspoken about burton here, without mentioning them by name. i wonder if their stats are correct about the stance options?

http://www.romesnowboards.com/product/tech/binding/c-design/

-click on the 4x4 stance option

They seems to be quite outspoken about a few differnet things (like how their "conformist" straps are so much better than "cap straps" when actually they look to be ripping off the Ride "convertible" idea.)

The stance thing is correct, but I'm sure if Burton cared about this they would just point out that the binding baseplate should be centred on the board (for proper flex) and that if you really have a need to offset the position of your feet relative to the board, you can do it with the heelcup adjustment on the binding. The new "EST" system from burton looks to have a single rail through the middle of the board and only 2 fixings, giving you zero adjustment edge to edge.

Rome's stuff seems to be really good, they really don't need to bash on anyone else.

there binding just keep pushing the bar each year

this years targa's look sick w/a ll the new features and i didnt realize that they have started to make boots now i wonder how they will be

rome has had the conformist straps for a while

edit

they also seem to ahve alot of other new stuff i didin catch

Smartbase

A new wax-free hybrid base built by combining polypropylene with a selection of nanochemical additives. Harder than other bases, it is faster un-waxed than a traditional high-end base with wax. Self-adjusts to snow conditions to deliver the highest speeds without any need to use that thrift-store iron. Exclusive to Rome and one other snowboard company.

and lots of other things

i just found that interesting

Edited by romemadman

A new wax-free hybrid base built by combining polypropylene with a selection of nanochemical additives. Harder than other bases, it is faster un-waxed than a traditional high-end base with wax.

Do you really believe this? A freestyle snowboard company puts out a base without wax that will be faster than a WC race ski base with wax?

the 08 boot line is really good, and the 09 line is shaping up to be amazing.

i personally ride the libertines and love them. the have a mid stiff flex out of the box and break in to be a little softer. the do everything well.

the folsom is a little stiff for my liking straight out of the box, but they break into be just perfect after about 15-20 days.

the hybrid base on the design is really fast in all snow conditions. not saying its as fast as properly tuned race skiis, but it is damn quick.

the conformist toe strap has been around for over 3 years now, they did not steal it from ride.

the stance option is an important factor to me, maybe not everone cares but i like to be able to get my stance to the exact position that i like.

oh and as far as boards go, this years line rocks. the graft is amazing, the agent is better than ever, and the slash is great for guys with big feet that wish they could ride an agent. and for girls that like hitting rails, boxes, and just buttering around the mountain, the detail is the weapon of choice for sure.

• 5 weeks later...
the stance option is an important factor to me, maybe not everone cares but i like to be able to get my stance to the exact position that i like.

I know burton binding plates drive me FUCKING CRAZY trying to get my stance right on non-burton boards. I avoid burton boards and bindings for that reason. I ultimately ended up with missions on a jeremy jones and its fine, but I'll take my Alphas on my Altered Gen any day the conditions are good.

Rome makes sick sick sick boards, their bindings are good but the ratchets SUCK. Little known fact - Ride ratchets fit on rome bindings. If you can buy the ride ratchets from a ride warranty box at a shop and put them on your romes, you just made the sickest bindings ever (I have 390s with ride team ratchets, good stuff) the normal rome ones jam a lot.

the ratchet problem was adressed over a year ago and its no longer an issue for the 08 production models. the old ones did tend to jam a bit but by no means were they the worst buckles i have seen. but rest assured, the new ratchets are as good as anything on the market.

the ratchet problem was adressed over a year ago and its no longer an issue for the 08 production models. the old ones did tend to jam a bit but by no means were they the worst buckles i have seen. but rest assured, the new ratchets are as good as anything on the market.

Do you work for Rome?

no, i do not work for rome.

I dunno man, I love those bindings (I bought 390s year one) and I work at a shop, and the only downside I see to them is weight and the ratchets. And don't tell me the ratchets are perfect because I had my hands on them all last year and they were still an issue. There is nothing more frustrating than standing at the bottom of a run stuck in your binding while your friends wait to get on a lift. I will agree year 2 ratchets were a lot better than year 1 but they still need to improve. I'm looking forward to this years.

As for weight - it doesn't bother me much. The difference in static weight is like a pound or two, eat less breakfast is a problem. Spin weight is an issue with boards, but the bindings are right there on your feet there is no leverage needed to rotate them so I never felt the need to pony up for more expensive lighter bindings.

The one thing burton makes right are straps and rachets. I modded my SPi's to use a Burton Super strap and the burton cap strap. I like them much better then the straps and rachets that came with the SPi's. They feel alot more comfortable and i think the rachets are alot smoother.

Straps and rachets are from an 05 P1 binding.

I dunno man, I love those bindings (I bought 390s year one) and I work at a shop, and the only downside I see to them is weight and the ratchets. And don't tell me the ratchets are perfect because I had my hands on them all last year and they were still an issue.

the 08 production ratchets are better.

As for weight - it doesn't bother me much. The difference in static weight is like a pound or two, eat less breakfast is a problem. Spin weight is an issue with boards, but the bindings are right there on your feet there is no leverage needed to rotate them so I never felt the need to pony up for more expensive lighter bindings.

If the bindings were at the center of the board then I would agree. They aren't and added weight of any binding will increase swing weight. Although they aren't at the tip of the board, so the amount of difference added weight will make is certainly questionable. I don't know how significant the difference between a high and low swing weight for boards are.