Killington or Mount Snow For The Weekend? Thoughts?

Ski4Food

Hey everyone,

So it's planned I'm skiing this weekend - just not sure where.

We have a house just outside of Rutland so Killington is only a 15 minute drive once we get to the house. The drive to mount snow would be a tad bit longer, but I'm thinking it might be worth it.

Let me know your thoughts! Especially you guys who skied Mount Snow last weekend!

Thanks and Think Snow!

I think Killington (if open) will be brutally crowded, and certaintly less terrain. Also only one lift most likely, where as at Mount Snow you have 3. I wouldn't be suprised if they had deer run or snowdance open. If killington gets a window to make more snow, so will Mount Snow, and Mount Snow has a lot more terrain under full fan gun coverage to open. Once they max out that terrain they will go back to the slower air/water guns and Killington will be opening stuff faster since they have more water, but while it is fan guns vs old style, Mount Snow is going to win.

Plus, you have all season to go to killington if you have a house, try something different for a weekend when you know it will be superior.

I think Killington (if open) will be brutally crowded, and certaintly less terrain. Also only one lift most likely, where as at Mount Snow you have 3. I wouldn't be suprised if they had deer run or snowdance open. If killington gets a window to make more snow, so will Mount Snow, and Mount Snow has a lot more terrain under full fan gun coverage to open. Once they max out that terrain they will go back to the slower air/water guns and Killington will be opening stuff faster since they have more water, but while it is fan guns vs old style, Mount Snow is going to win.

Plus, you have all season to go to killington if you have a house, try something different for a weekend when you know it will be superior.

Strongly dissagree... Hit up K-town this weekend. Employee passes are not valid friday-sunday. Especially take into account that most jobs have not started, but a ton of people who already went through orientation with the mountain already have their passes. Killington has excellent snow coverage at the moment and yes my boys from GMC were at MT. Snow and told me it was kick ass, but we will be open top to bottom with a park. The entire northridge side has a massive amount of snow coverage so trails like rime, reason, double dipper, Great Northern, East fall will be ready to go. Also a bunch of trails like bunny buster and mouse trap on Snowdon will be open.

Here it is fresh from the web-site:

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Report News:

Snowmaking has been underway on 19 trails as we gear up for opening day on November 16. We'll be skiing and riding off Killington and Snowdon peaks. We'll update you with a projected trail and lift count later this week as we approach opening day. Check out the new filtering functionality of the snow report by clicking on "Trail Report" below.

Our Park and Pipe Crew is welding, grinding and painting new features that will debut opening day at our early-season terrain park on Reason.

The first event of the season - the Loaded Turkey Rail Jam 4 2/3 - takes place on Sunday, Nov. 18.

Killington will offer Blue Square and Black Diamond Trails only, and all skier/rider services will be available at the K-1 Lodge.

MT snow has 12 trails in operation now.

Strongly dissagree... Hit up K-town this weekend. Employee passes are not valid friday-sunday. Especially take into account that most jobs have not started, but a ton of people who already went through orientation with the mountain already have their passes. Killington has excellent snow coverage at the moment and yes my boys from GMC were at MT. Snow and told me it was kick ass, but we will be open top to bottom with a park. The entire northridge side has a massive amount of snow coverage so trails like rime, reason, double dipper, Great Northern, East fall will be ready to go. Also a bunch of trails like bunny buster and mouse trap on Snowdon will be open.

Report News:

Snowmaking has been underway on 19 trails as we gear up for opening day on November 16. We'll be skiing and riding off Killington and Snowdon peaks. We'll update you with a projected trail and lift count later this week as we approach opening day. Check out the new filtering functionality of the snow report by clicking on "Trail Report" below.

Our Park and Pipe Crew is welding, grinding and painting new features that will debut opening day at our early-season terrain park on Reason.

The first event of the season - the Loaded Turkey Rail Jam 4 2/3 - takes place on Sunday, Nov. 18.

Killington will offer Blue Square and Black Diamond Trails only, and all skier/rider services will be available at the K-1 Lodge.

You just compared what you MAY have open this weekend to what Mount Snow has HAD open. Sure you MAY have more open than they HAVE had open, but if you guys can make snow than they will as well, so they will have even more open. And they have a park on a separate peak with a separate lift to keep those guys over there, a seperate beginner area, an intermediate top to bottom trail, and an advanced top to bottom trail. Each trail has its own lift to keep lift lines short, all the snow has come from fan guns which is better quality, and all the runs are top to bottom. Plus two more top to bottom trails opening for the weekend, I think snow quality, variety, and lift lines are all in Mount Snows favor. Killington will be better in January, you won't go to Mount Snow mid winter if you have it right there next to you, but get some different trails in now and have a better weekend than going to Killington. You'll have all winter to try those trails out.

Report News:

Doesn't matter if you have 19 trails open it will still be a clusterf#$k in the "mixing bowl", always is on opening weekend and despite the fact that they clearly state only intermediate and advanced terrain, the fact that at least bits of great northern is open means that it will be full of out of control muppets.

Thanks Everyone!

I dont think I've ever started a thread with such a good response!

I don't ski PA that much but I know you guys are in the know and I can always trust your opinions!

Our House is actually in Bridgewater which is half an hour away from Okemo which is where we ski normally. I hate Killington personally, but we can see the summit from the house which is nice when it's really dumping and the roads aren't plowed. Running a ski shop cuts into my skiing a lot so we don't make it to VT as much as we'd like, but its nice to have a place to go when things slow down.

We've decided to ski Okemo on Saturday since they just announced that they will be open with 15-20 trails and then I think we're going to leave early on Sunday morning and make the hour and a half drive to Mount Snow and ski there Sunday and head home after skiing on Monday.

I'm pumped! I'll be sure to give a full report next week!

Next question... What two pairs of skis?

I'm thinking AC40s and Mantras. Any thoughts? Did Mount Snow get bumped up quickly? I know Killington will... You can always bank on your first and last days of skiing in the east being bump days at Killington!

Thanks Guys!