Home made jibs

Glenn

Anyone make their own jibs? If so any advice? Right now I'm expecting to spend some time making a drop in, and looking for some metal rails. I have a few pvc pipes, but I'm not sure how well they will work.

I wouldn't even bother with PVC or even soft metal like aluminum if you don't have a street dweller (no edges). Freeze magazine's #1 rule in specing urban rails is that the rail is a hard metal like steel or iron. You're edges are steel and they cut into softer metals. So if you go to slide a soft metal rail, you're edges will dig in and send you into a face plant :thud . The only way you could slide a soft metal or PVC with a real board is if you have a street dweller, or if you only 50-50 it (We skiers don't have that option :glare: )

Hmm, well in that case I'll have to visit some friends with farms, they always have pipes laying around. Maybe even a junkyard. Any advice on sanding/painting rails so they dont rust?

Do NOT paint the rail! That would be asking for another faceplant :thud Again, your edges would slice into the paint and stay there while your body keeps going. Notice only the sides of rails are painted at real mountains. If you sand the rail down to shiny metal (I recommend a sandblaster) and it's kept off the ground, it shouldn't rust if you use it enough.

Homemade jibs are my specialty, my backyard has like 3 rails and a box.

The best rails, in my opinion are actually those toy store rails. Factor X recently went out of business, so i went down to kb toys and bought 5 6ft rails for 10 bucks each on clearence. they are cool for small places, you can put them just about anywhere, and for 50 bucks i got 30 feet of rail.

But, i also like to build my own stuff. metal pipe with fittings are your best option, besides welding your own, that is. just get an 10ft pipe, some elbows and a couple of t's and little pipes and put one together. you can make all kinds of stuff with the fittings. kinks, flat rails, the sky is the limit with just a little imagination, and they are quite easy and can be taken apart for storage very quickly.

Heres a rough drawing i made in photoshop, just do the same on the other end.

rail3.gif

PVC is your enemy. They chip, slide like crap, and yes, catch your edge. Painting will do no harm what so ever. Terrain parks paint their rails every year. The top layer is usually gone the first day. Your edges will not dig into the paint.

As for the drop in, build something and make the top layer with some treated ply, paint it, and then seal it with a wood sealent. it will last for quite a while.

Homemade jibs are my specialty, my backyard has like 3 rails and a box.

The best rails, in my opinion are actually those toy store rails. Factor X recently went out of business, so i went down to kb toys and bought 5 6ft rails for 10 bucks each on clearence. they are cool for small places, you can put them just about anywhere, and  for 50 bucks i got 30 feet of rail.

But, i also like to build my own stuff. metal pipe with fittings are your best option, besides welding your own, that is. just get an 10ft pipe, some elbows and a couple of t's and little pipes and put one together. you can make all kinds of stuff with the fittings. kinks, flat rails, the sky is the limit with just a little imagination, and they are quite easy and can be taken apart for storage very quickly.

Heres a rough drawing i made in photoshop, just do the same on the other end.

rail3.gif

PVC is your enemy. They chip, slide like crap, and yes, catch your edge. Painting will do no harm what so ever. Terrain parks paint their rails every year. The top layer is usually gone the first day. Your edges will not dig into the paint.

As for the drop in, build something and make the top layer with some treated ply, paint it, and then seal it with a wood sealent. it will last for quite a while.

Hmm, don the joints create a problem riding over, or am in not understanding what they are. When i htink joints/fitting i think of a piece that comes aroound the pipe, mabe a half inch, that would most definately cause problems riding over. Do you have any actual pictures i could see?

As far a as that factor x, are they still available, or are they pretty much gone now?

the joints shouldn't make a problem, i mean if you jump on your fine. i usually line it up with a ramp and just pack the end of the rail into the snow. as for the factor x stuff, i think they are all gone. but the sports authority has a couple of rails for 20 bucks. these are a bit different, but they are square, and im sure you would want a square rail over a round one. they are well worth the price, and like i said, you can put them ANYWHERE.

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/family/i...estsellgcat_txt

my advice for making rails is all about the scrap metal. go to the junk yard get some 3 inch square tubing and some 2 in for legs i then heat up the parts i want bent for kinks and what not. also i weld mine together and when you go to the scrap yard you can get 30 feet of metal for 10 or 15 bucks. then just go home and wirebrush it all. as for painting it goes i just put down two coats of the clear coat spray paint. this keeps it from oxidizing.

Edited by lineski2007

Well, as it looks right now, I'm not getting anything. My parents won't let me keep the rails in the yard or the shed.

"We bought you the camelback pass so you could have everything you needed there, the mountain the rails, the lifts"

:banghead

So anyways, I cant justify a purchase, and or spending time on something, that I have to ditch as soon as I leave school. So until I can convince my parents, no homemade jibs for me :pissed

Well, I went to home depot today, I was checking stuff out, and if I can convince my parents, I could put together a 10 triple barrel for 25 bucks or so. I just finished talking to them again, and they said there is nowhere to store 10 foot pole, which isnt exactly true, but its there house <_<

get a bunch of random shit and stack it on top of each other then push all the snow together and shape it, you dont need much of a drop in for a rail.

Good idea on the random stuff. :D

I was thinking about builiding a couple massive snowballs, like the ones you make for snowmen, and then shaping them, but random stuff would def work better.

i'm not gonna rip on anyone in particular, but pvc definately works well. its generally slicker than a metal rail, and you can catch an edge easier, but its in your yard, not at a mtn. it forces you to be balanced correctly, which last time i checked isnt a bad thing. and painting the rail will not make you catch, rails are painted for cosmetics and to keep them from rusting as quickly, and it doesnt affect how the rail slides much if at all. last year we got about 2 inches of snow, i screwed a scrap peice of wood into the bottom of a 3" pvc pipe to stabilize it, and it worked fine, i learned all sorts of stuff onto that thing with more or less no lip at all, just ollying onto the rail. and the pipe fittings are a bad idea, you will definately catch on those unless you can hop off the rail in time, i've tried.