Conditions this weekend (and other questions)?

sigmapete1

I have never been to Elk but am looking for an alternative to Camelback and Shawnee for this weekend. I have a few questions for those Elk regulars on here:

1) How bad do you expect the crowds to be this Saturday (MLK Weekend)? I know Camelback has huge crowds but they also have 33 trails open and more lifts.

2) The Elk website says most of their trails are currently closed. Does anyone know if they expect to have them ready for the weekend?

3) I am taking my beginner skiier girlfriend for her second time out and buying her a lesson. Does anyone know a good instructor I can request for a private lesson?

4) Is the mountain beginner friendly?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) Camelback may be crowded, but there are two nice bars to revive yourself in - East Side Bistro & Glen Lodge. Expect the mountain to be loaded with beginners (moving obstacles and lots of yard sales). Elk and Sno may be a lot less crowded.

2) Hopefully, I may try to go on Friday before I meet up with my wife and daughter.

3) If I was going with a girlfriend, I would definitely head to Sno Mountain. The upper half of the mountain is excellent for beginners and advanced beginners. Even the blue trails are comfortable. Besides, when you are done, the new management appears to have done an excellent job putting a patio outside the bar, which was already a comfortable place to go for a break.

4) Elk has a lower percentage of beginners trails than Camelback and Sno. I have skied all three and I would rather take beginners to Sno.

Ill try to give you the best answers I can think of:

1) The crowds for mlk weekend can usually be pretty bad, and with the good weather this week I would expect people to be out. Even when Elk is completly packed (ie on pres weekend, etc) the lift lines really wont get longer than 15-20 min at the max, except maybe on the beginner lift. Because of the slower lifts the trails never are really crowded.

2) I know they spent the early part of the week resurfaceing all their open terrian (they even closed slalom and Susquehanna tues and wed for snowmaking) and from what ive heard should have a good number more open for the weekend. There were a few that were closed last sun that only really needed a night of snowmaking to open and with the 3-6 inches they have gotten this week as well as today the snow will be really good this weekend.

3-4) If you sign your gf up for a private you really cant go wrong (this coming from a guy who teaches during my winter break in the childrens ski school) as all of elks upper level instructors teach the privates. Also there sadly really isnt that much beginner terrain: tioga is your best bet from the top, as Lehigh is all natural snow (the only trail without snowmaking actually), however if she is confidant you might be able to try some of the long crusiers like Wissahickon and Lenape.

Hope this helps with your desision to go to elk. You both should have a good time even if some of the mountain isnt fully open, the conditions should be excellant and if your gf gets a private lesson it will really help her out.

sigmapete1 here's my take on your questions.

1. MLK and presidents' day are the two busiest weekends of the ski season, no matter where you go.

I'd choose a different weekend, as the experience will be less stressful without the crowds.

2. Elk, and all other mountains in PA were/are in the recovery mode from last weeks' meltdown. I skied Tues night at

Elk and had one of the best nights since last years Valentine's Day storm. The website said 3" but 6" is more like it.

Wed skiing was great too with all open slopes groomed. Slalom was freshly groomed but had death cookies on it, I'm sure that will change after a couple more groomings. Susquehanna was closed for blowing, while Tunkhannock was freshly groomed and nice. The terrain park was also being groomed Wed and should be open and ready by this weekend. Unless they get a major dumping, I'd guess only 3-4 more trails could be open, and that's a stretch, and a guess.

3-4 Exactly like elkskibum said.

Is Monday, MLK day itself typically crowded? I have been to Blue on MLK day and it wasn't that bad (less crowded than a typical Sunday). Not everyone has off so I was wondering how Monday would be at Elk as we are thinking of heading up for the day.

Monday will probably be the best day of the wknd. Saturday is usually the most crowded, and Sunday less so. Also by Mon. more trails should be open.

Any place will be crowded. I might be a little biased here, but Jack Frost might be your best bet. They are 100% open (and have been for a while). They have more lifts to service the mountain, hence quicker lines. They have a decent amount of trails for beginners. Plus, the beginners can hit a lift back up, while more experienced skiers can keep going farther down blue trails (kind of like a mid station lift, but two separate lifts). JF might get a little more crowded than Elk, but having more terrain to choose come out weighs that. Plus there are no limitations at JF...if it has snow on it, they let you ski it. Where ever you go, get there for first chair, or don't bother to go because it will be a mad house.