01/20/08

sexkitten

OK, today was our first trip to Blue this season and it was a pretty good day. The husband and I pulled into the lower lot around 7:15, booted up and headed in. The ticket window was open early which I really, really love. It was freezing but I layered so it wasn't really a problem. They were also blowing which made the lift ride exciting to say the least but it's a necessary evil so I'm not hating. Anyway, we jumped on the 6 pack first and headed up for a few warm up runs. On the way up we noticed that Paradise and Razors were roped off for grooming although once they were open I had to wonder if that's what the groomers were really doing up there. LM was hard, hard, hard pack with a mix of sugar and fresh snow on the top. It was fast which made Bob really happy and not too crowded which did it for me. We went on to ski Main Street just in time to see the race crew closing Raceway but since you have to ride the double and pole to get over there we weren't too upset. MS was a tad icy at the top... OK it was a tad icy all the way down but it wasn't unedgeable. Since it was so cold and early the normal mound of mashed potatoes at the bottom were at a minimum too which was a pleasant surprise. We played around on that side of the mountain for a while and even skied Burma which I kinda wish wasn't a slow trail. It's twisty and fun but the heaps of downed newbies and the patrollers whistling till their lips are blue wreck it. Oh well. Overall the crowds in the morning were moderate. I think we were actually one of the 1st to ride the MS double because the liftie literally had to run out of the hut to hook us up. As for the other lifts... because people are stupid Bob and I rode the 6 a bunch of times alone which I like but with a growing line it seemed like a waste. Note to Blue... please put a wrangler out . The quad had no line the entire time but I think that was because Razors and Paradise weren't open. Around 9 we ducked in the lower lodge to thaw out. Before we went in Bob hit Challenge for a wife free, fast run. He said it was a icy/ hard but not dangerous. When we got back out Paradise was open so we hit it and got to see the snow cat in action. I've actually never been on a trail when they were grooming but it was nice to be the 1st person to ski fresh corduroy. Besides the tiny groomed patch Paradise was a mushy mess hence my earlier comment about the groomers. Around 10:30 I was spent so I sent the hubby for a final Challenge and Razors run before we bailed. He said Challenge stayed the same but that Razors was death cookie heaven which is a little disappointing. considering that they were grooming it when we got there. I think my favorite run of the day was Lazy to Falls. We finally bailed around 10:30. The lift lines were full but not ridiculous. I think if there had been a wrangler there wouldn't really have been a lift line the entire time we were there. Despite that the trails did feel a bit crowded and the lower lodge was ridiculous. I think the new trail and hopefully an open Switchback will alleviate that crowded feeling next season. Too many lift and too few trails is never a good thing. Overall we had really a good day... cold and a bit icy but good. Thanks Blue.

P.S. I forgot to say that we got a good dusting of natural snow this morning. I was reading Doug's JH TR and feeling a little jealous so I had to add that fact. Nah, nah, nah Doug... you missed a "powder" day at Blue. Ha!

Edited by sexkitten

was there today with my gf from 4:30 to 9:30... taking a big break in between runs to catch up on the Giants game.

Skiied the greens mostly, in the afternoon when we got there... there were lines on the quads, but nothing too ridiculous, those the trails were packed, rediculous. Towards the end of the day, was a typical sunday night.... alot better as more people went home... the only issue, Ice.... ice ice ice, with a very thin layer of fresh powder. In the end, they had the guns out to cover some trails which made it better... all in all a good day, though it was freeezing, 12 degrees without the chill... had to wear two pairs of gloves.... feet where freezing with ski socks and all. but hey... $20 lift tickets, and for the most part, no lines.... cant beat it.