TR Jack Frost 2-4-08

RidgeRacer

Just back from my first day out since last Monday. It snowed about an inch overnight and there was a light snowfall going on pretty much the entire time I was there. I hit the snow around 11:00. I was expecting icy conditions since everything else around here is seriously iced over including my driveway but I found nice conditions at the Mt.

Made my first run of the day on Thunderbolt. The snow is a nicely groomed hardpack surface with the little bit of snow we received overnight on top which made it nice. I headed straight for east. Floyd's is completely groomed and it probably needed it. The snow was very nice except for one icy patch on skiers right on the steeper portion of the headwall towards Risk It. A groomed Floyds is fun for carving out wide GS turns but it's not nearly as intimidating (sp?) without the bumps. Not that I'm big on the bumps but Floyd's is definitely meant to be bump trail. It was then over to river shot and the rest of East. After that I headed for the Challenege glade which is a hockey rink so I got out quick. I worked my way west to the One park trees and found that to be very nice. It's not sold ice but a very firm hard pack, yet carvable. Jumped out onto Exhibition, then to Lehigh and back over to East to get away from some of the crowds and to finish my day.

Overall a very nice day at Jack. All we need is a nice storm to replenish the trees and bring Jack Frost back to it's full glory. I'll be back tommorrow give me a shout if you'll be there.