Quick TR for 2/10/8

Ski

Again, I wasn't going to post a tr until I read how crappy Doug had it today at Blue. Ty and I pulled in at our usual 7:30am, then she hooked up with her team at 8:30am. I skied down to Long Haul and rode to the top just to check out how windy it was up there. The weather forecast had a bunch of high wind warnings, but despite a crazy wind in the parking lot, it was pretty calm up top. By 9am, the sun was intense and it had warmed up to near 30. WL was groomed and awesome, while the rest of the diamonds were all fine. There were two inches of fresh snow to track up down the inrun to WL, which was cool. And a deer ran out right in front of patrollers who were behind us. I've never seen anyone almost hit a deer on skis.

The morning was perfect, with empty slopes and only one bus. A lot of people were scared away by the forecast. At around 1pm, the front came through and there was about a 20 minute white-out. Winds had to hit close to 50mph and the snow just dumped. About a hundred people came rushing into the lodge. Ty said they were blown backwards, back up the hill.

Anyway, it was an awesome morning with a cool weather event in the afternoon.

Again, I wasn't going to post a tr until I read how crappy Doug had it today at Blue. Ty and I pulled in at our usual 7:30am, then she hooked up with her team at 8:30am. I skied down to Long Haul and rode to the top just to check out how windy it was up there. The weather forecast had a bunch of high wind warnings, but despite a crazy wind in the parking lot, it was pretty calm up top. By 9am, the sun was intense and it had warmed up to near 30. WL was groomed and awesome, while the rest of the diamonds were all fine. There were two inches of fresh snow to track up down the inrun to WL, which was cool. And a deer ran out right in front of patrollers who were behind us. I've never seen anyone almost hit a deer on skis.

The morning was perfect, with empty slopes and only one bus. A lot of people were scared away by the forecast. At around 1pm, the front came through and there was about a 20 minute white-out. Winds had to hit close to 50mph and the snow just dumped. About a hundred people came rushing into the lodge. Ty said they were blown backwards, back up the hill.

Anyway, it was an awesome morning with a cool weather event in the afternoon.

I was going to go this afternoon, but went out last night and it turned into a lazy day :banghead

When I left tonight (~7:15) the guns were running on lower runway/fastrack (It sounded like they were on) and on the upper mountain. The wind was REALLY blowing when I left and it couldn't have been more than 10 degrees. It was like skiing two different days today b/c this morning it was a sunny pa powder day, but ended wearing with about every piece of clothing I had in my ski bag. strange...

snoskier

ski, thanks for the report. I'll give it to Sno for conditions.

I went there over Blue Sat. night, even though it is 40 miles and a half hour farther. Plus $3.00 more for a ticket and $7.50 in tolls, plus the extra gas. I haven't skied as much as planned this year, so I go when I can and conditions are the priority.

I would still put lighting over the 22' Zaug. I didn't see anyone in their 13' half pipe. Switch was one of only 2 trails closed because they used the snowmaking for the mounds on Spike. Was it open for NASTAR today? I would make it a priority over the park. But that's my opinion.

I pack my own lunch. It's better than waiting in line for over priced greasy burgers. Apres ski is not important unless I'm in NE or out west, so it's all about conditions for me in PA.

ski, thanks for the report. I'll give it to Sno for conditions.

I went there over Blue Sat. night, even though it is 40 miles and a half hour farther. Plus $3.00 more for a ticket and $7.50 in tolls, plus the extra gas. I haven't skied as much as planned this year, so I go when I can and conditions are the priority.

I would still put lighting over the 22' Zaug. I didn't see anyone in their 13' half pipe. Switch was one of only 2 trails closed because they used the snowmaking for the mounds on Spike. Was it open for NASTAR today? I would make it a priority over the park. But that's my opinion.

I pack my own lunch. It's better than waiting in line for over priced greasy burgers. Apres ski is not important unless I'm in NE or out west, so it's all about conditions for me in PA.

Yeah, the lights are far and away the number one legit gripe. Management knows how people feel and even bought all the lights and equipment for the switchover. Heck, they posted a photo on the website...the lights on Spike got switched, but we're still waiting for everywhere else.

Switch has been the most neglected trail on the mountain. We had to race in the dark on Whistler Thursday and there was no NASTAR this weekend. But I'm cool with it because management has allowed the race department to set gates on Smoke and Boomer, so the kids have been getting some great training. Better that the recreational/public racing gets neglected instead of the USSA kids. At CB, management would sometimes pull race team coaches away from training to man the NASTAR course. I just thought that was ridiculous.

Anyway, once this wind dies down they'll hit the snowmaking really hard. And as to the 22' pipe, if you've seen what the Pole Cats can do and how they've also used them from Switch as well as the ones on Spike, Sno can produce enough snow for a 22' pipe in about the same amount of time as other mountains need for their 13' pipes. It's just a matter of math and having good temps considering the firepower available. If people really think Sno can't produce and maintain a 22' pipe, then it's the same as saying other ski areas shouldn't bother with any size pipe. Personally, I'd turn both Mainline and Spike into skiercross runs...

Wow one bus on a Sunday...amazing..I'm envious of the lack of traffic Sno sees..Blue was pis-acked today...

I'd say the weekend was double the ticket sales of last year---and the year before---at this time. Saturdays seem to be bus days, while Sundays have had quite a few car loads. It's kind of funny, though, how Sno has been drawing so many newbie skiers/riders. The upper mountain has been busy, while the NF has been empty. A whole bunch of Elk people came down to buy the $10 twilight tickets today. Ty rejoins her team after lunch at noon, so I was hanging around outside the lodge and kept getting asked how to get to the NF by groups saying they were from Elk and had never skied here. I wish Elk would do a $10 deal for us.

anybody have the pleasure of getting stuck on iron horse yesterday? or getting caught in that massive snow storm thing?

Yeah, I wonder what happened? I saw some folks jumping from the lift near the offload area.

The whiteout hit when I was on long haul. Couldn't see a thing after I got off so I just hung out on the leeward side of that little shack where the toboggans are stored.

Pretty interesting weather ...

Yeah, I wonder what happened? I saw some folks jumping from the lift near the offload area.

The whiteout hit when I was on long haul. Couldn't see a thing after I got off so I just hung out on the leeward side of that little shack where the toboggans are stored.

Pretty interesting weather ...

lol then you probably saw us trying to fix our poor sign that got knocked over from the winds, it was real bad wasent it? me and the guy i was workin with just decided to ride down the park when it was at its worse and with the wind blowing so hard we could barely move and we couldn't see 10 feet in front of us, I've never seen winds like that before.

lol then you probably saw us trying to fix our poor sign that got knocked over from the winds, it was real bad wasent it? me and the guy i was workin with just decided to ride down the park when it was at its worse and with the wind blowing so hard we could barely move and we couldn't see 10 feet in front of us, I've never seen winds like that before.

Maybe I should bring a rope and harness so I can escape from the lift next time it gets stuck. :) I did see the flattened sign when I went by the park ... I also saw some blue padding and bits of trees whipping past. Returned to the lodge by way of Highball ... The wind was actually stopping some folks from moving down the hill. Reminded me of Mt Washington.

anybody have the pleasure of getting stuck on iron horse yesterday? or getting caught in that massive snow storm thing?

The people I was with were saying how we were probably lucky not to be on Rt. 81. Was it a 68 car pile-up? A guy on the news said he was from Montana and when the weather turned to a white-out, people pulled off to the shoulder, while here people just stopped in their lanes. The Montana way is a little better.