Trip Report for the 3/16/08

Matt

What's happening -

Today I decided to switch it up and rock the Sno Mountain. For some reason I always think Sno is a haul from West Chester; but it's only an extra 20 minutes longer than if I drove to Blue. My Nuvi (the GPS computer) told me it was a 1hr 50min drive. The drive started as rain until half way between the Mahoning Valley and the Pocono Exits, the snow changed over to rain. The snow really didn't stick on the roads except for very small bit of road way on the turnpike. After all that fun, I strolled in around 8:05am.

I suited up in the lodge and got out by 8:09am. Shortly after getting started, I caught up with SnoSkier for the rest of the day. The snow that fell left a very nice 1-2in coating on top of everything. It made for pretty damn good conditions, and tack on the fact that no one really showed up until 11'ish ... there was still untracked spots on the trails until 11'ish. The one thing I really like about Sno is the variety of the more advanced terrain when compared to Blue. Sno's trails turn, wind around, and are kind of wooded in. I tried to do the Superpipe, damn that thing is tall. I pretty much skied everything on the bottom half (or from what I believe is the "NorthFace", I'm not too proficient with Sno's trail names yet) and most of the runs on the top.

From all the trail names I remember, White Lighting had some of the best conditions on it. All "fluffed" up and just enough bumps to give it "attitude". I kept my eye out for the PASR Sno forum regulars; but couldn't find any. Overall, today was an awesome day. I definitely liked how empty it was there today (when compared to Blue's mid-day clusterf**k) and how's only an extra 20 minutes when compared to the Blue drive; I'm definitely going to be there more next year and maybe still once more pending on when they are closing up for the season.

Anyways ... that's my report. Enjoy.

I'm sure you got a good tour from Snoskier...

We had to get Ty to her race team party at noon, then---after almost accidentally running over Melissa in the parking lot---mostly skied the upper mountain all afternoon. We did lap Cannonball a few times, but the top of the mountain stayed cooler and the snow was easier to navigate for a kid on 100's.

Try to catch ya next time,,,,

Blue skiers at Sno..Sno skiers at Blue..everybody hitting up Camelback..very nice!!!

Good report Matt..and Ty is on 100s..no wonder her times improved so much in Nastar..fa fa fa fast.. :dance::downhill::banana:

Do you think Sno will be open around the 28th/29th?

"3/29 & 3/30/2008 SPRING CARNIVAL WEEKEND"

Pond skimming, tug of war (into the pond), pin the tail on the moose (I made that up)....but JEA!!!

I only skiied for about an hour today, just long enough to try out the new boots and skis (great, btw). Conditions were as described. The new skis are so much better than the old ones for these conditions.

Ha, I don't do White Lightning. And that fence is seriously the only thing that I have ever crashed into (including people!). Depending on how the moving is going, I may be out this evening after work. We'll see.

Edit: Matt, glad you had such a great time at Sno. Come up again!

Edited by Melissa

Rattler looked a little different by 3 :huh: But, yeah, Ty's coach and his daughter were having a casual afternoon with us today---he's the guy I introduced you to on Switch. We were all finding untracked lines until 3:30pm, or so. Heck, both sides of Switch were untouched until we tracked them on the run we talked.

It really was a blast today. The afternoon snow held up a lot better than yesterday afternoon.

Drop me a pm if you're around this week.