Nitro Boards?

Glenn

Nitro... good, bad, average?

I'm thinking about getting a year old Pantera LX. Ebay is littered with them. I'm thinking 159 minimum. They are $305 shipped. I'm looking for a light stiff board for hiking, trees, powder and cliffs. This board will replace my '54 Jussi, which was fun, but bogged down too much in the powder.

For park I've got this 5+ y.o. palmer 151 (no clue what model). The thing feels pretty stiff and it's in great shape in spite of the age. It's got an extruded base, so I think the big kickers aren't realistic on this board. The Jussi is broken and not viable for big park jumps.

I'm thinking I will pick up a used all mountain "freestyle" board in a 54-57 if/when I have money.

Sounds like a good deal. I am in the market for a powder board as well and have been looking around but never stumbled upon this. I have been looking at the Never Summer Summit, StepChild OG Powder and a few others. I have been leaning towards the Stepchild in a 164 because I am not sure how the Summit will handle on groomers and such. I want something slightly tapered to give me more float but not wash out on the rest of the hill. The Pantera looks interesting but don't worry I am not going to steal your board off of eBay I would need something bigger like a 162-165 and am probably not grabbing one till before I head west. I would grab it sounds perfect for what you need.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the heads up on the top sheet issues. I ordered the board, but may pick up some epoxy to patch top sheet issues as they come along.

you won't be dissapointed, i ripped on an 08 burton t6 162 last year, and i recently picked up a nitro 157 t2.... they are 2 diff animals considering the t2 is a park board and the t6 is a stiff/fast all mt. mofo... all i can say is that im probly selling my t6 bc i had soo much fun on the nitro t2 for peanuts in price compared to what i got the t6 for!!! and if im not mistaken the pantera is similar to the t6...

the t2 budddderzz nasty and is still stable enough to rip a clean bomb session witt the all mountain boys... i guess im just on a nitro steelo but i think they offer great products comparable to burton quality for great prices... they are a hughe company just no one in the US really pimps but if you look @ all the UK riders thats all they rock... Nitro in the UK is like Burton/K2 in the US...

you won't be dissapointed, bottom line let us all know how it shreds!!

Rode the board twice so far. It's fast and stiff, and already has a core shot. I think they skimped a little on base depth. That being said, it's super stable at speed and handled a variety of conditions easily. I still haven't put it in anything really steep or really deep yet though. That's why I bought it.

Rode the board twice so far. It's fast and stiff, and already has a core shot. I think they skimped a little on base depth. That being said, it's super stable at speed and handled a variety of conditions easily. I still haven't put it in anything really steep or really deep yet though. That's why I bought it.

wow really a core shot already where were you shreddin' @, did you hit anything??

most of the base's i see on the jib boards say there amped up hardcore, but really are just a sintered base so you can ptext for easy repair... bu tif im not mistaken the pantera is a freeride bomber?? not really constructed for the jib kids??

for the most burlley base out your gonna pay top dollar for and its burton's wfo n02 base ,its the hardest slickest thing i ever saw... im not too sure you can get away with a ptext patch on it, but i mean the boards that come with it are really just made to shred, and for pow lines/cordy stuff and cost BANK$...

so other then the core shot, you like it?? i would love to ride a pantera and see how it compares to my t6...

I was at Whiteface and off of the trail when I hit a rock I couldn't see. I was pretty sure it was a core shot regardless of base depth when I felt it. No big deal, there are plenty more coming, just thought the base could have been a little more significant. Next week I might make it once midweek at Blue. If your there you are welcome to try. After that I'm in CO. BTW extruded are WAY easier to patch than sintered.

I was at Whiteface and off of the trail when I hit a rock I couldn't see. I was pretty sure it was a core shot regardless of base depth when I felt it. No big deal, there are plenty more coming, just thought the base could have been a little more significant. Next week I might make it once midweek at Blue. If your there you are welcome to try. After that I'm in CO. BTW extruded are WAY easier to patch than sintered.

yea if blue has some snow ill roll up there during the week and shred... true that!

I got a Nitro T1 from Ebay, brand spankin new, for $125 about a month ago. Rode it on Mon for the first time at blue and loved it. Tons of pop for ollies and jumps and very stable when just riding the mountain. I think I might be buying Nitro boards for a while even if the top sheet chips easily. You can find these boards for cheap all over the internet.