New Pants

stever2003

I just tried on my ski pants. I put a lot of weight on in the last year, and if i try to suck it in and ski in these pants all day friday i'm probably gonna suffocate. I haven't bought new pants in a few years and the ones I got were in the higher end of general snow pants, but still not specific for skiing (got them at modells or some place like that). From what I've seen, skiing pants look pretty lightweight and are still warm - is this accurate?

Can somebody point me in the right direction here? I'm looking to spend about $100 (hopefully less) and will probably go to get something tomorrow, from Buckman's or EMS. Any brands or styles I should look for?

Also, I'm looking for goggles (helmet compatible) and gloves. I'd prefer to spend about $50 on each of these items...if anyone has advice in this area that'd be great. I'm sure with the gloves this won't be a terribly big deal.

Also, if anyone knows of deals or has access to coupons for buckmans or ems, please let me know.

THANKS!

Hate to say it, but even getting cheap prices i.e. whiskeymilitia or steepandcheap and/or tramdock you're probably looking at spending more than your price range on that stuff except maybe for gloves.

Look at waterproofing, seam taping, and insulation when it comes to technical stuff. After that its just comfort and compatibility with boots and/or jackets but look for waterproofing taping and insulation as the main factors when it comes to comparing pants.

Believe it or not TJ Maxx has some hellified deals going on for some high end stuff..

I picked up a pair of Giro Root goggles for $25 which I like just as much as my oakley wisdoms...

They had some swany gloves there for $30 there too... really nice stuff... (just not my size...)

I have read from people on AZ that some have picked up patagonia, north face, and columbia pants and jackets there for mad cheap...

It's definitely worth a look since you're on a serious budget..

Otherwise you're going to have to shop online for some closeout type deal in order to stay in that range...

Edited by phillycore

Def check out TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Like Philly, I picked myself up 2 pair of Giro Root gog's for $25 each. I've seen some Burton jackets there for real cheap. I nearly bought a pair of pants there last year but found a better deal online. If you can suck it up for opening day, check out Sierratradingpost.com and backcountryoutlet.com for good deals. Last year I got a Sessions jacket and Planet Earth pants for about 60% off each.

Too bad Princeton Ski Shop went out of business or I would say go to their annual Giants Stadium sale.

Hate to say it, but even getting cheap prices i.e. whiskeymilitia or steepandcheap and/or tramdock you're probably looking at spending more than your price range on that stuff except maybe for gloves.

Look at waterproofing, seam taping, and insulation when it comes to technical stuff. After that its just comfort and compatibility with boots and/or jackets but look for waterproofing taping and insulation as the main factors when it comes to comparing pants.

I have to disagree... I've gotten some great deals from the sites you mentioned. But you have to be diligent about watching them. I got a pair of Oakley pants last year that are the titties. I think they retail for $200+, and I'm sure I didn't drop more than $90 for 'em.

I just bought a pair of Burton gloves from SierraSnowboard.com for around $30 that are badass too. They are/were having a big 70% of sale a few weeks ago... not sure how much is left, but it's worth checking out.

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/sales

Of course there's always the SAC/WM company - Backcountry.com - which has an "Outlet" section on the website with moderate discounts. These are the items you'll see pop up on SAC and WM, just not quite as cheap. FWIW, they've got a great return policy... if it doesn't fit, or you don't like it, they'll take it right back.

As for goggles - that's not something I'll buy online. I just sucked it up and bought a pair of Anon at EMS last year, and I couldn't be happier with them. I want to say they were around $90, and worth every penny.

I'll also add this:

I like to order from online retailers that ship from nearby. I live in Philly and I love to order from ParagonSports.com, which is actually a brick and mortar store in NYC. My main reason for using them is that the standard "free" ground shipping is overnight for me. If I order by 11am or noon, or whatever their cutoff is, it gets packed and shipped that day, and sent UPS ground - which is delivered to me in Philly the next day. I've got a short list of stores that are within a 1 day shipping radius of Philly... of course if you live outside of the city, it might take an extra day for UPS to sort and deliver to you, but it's still better than waiting 5 days for ground delivery from out west.

ParagonSports.com - NYC

SEIsports.com - CT

Tightboards.com - NC