1/5/09

HouseMuzik

Wow guys.. first time up and that wasn't an impressive outing.. it was way too icy. In fact in parts it was down to just ice.. i know the top of julius cesar was nothing but ice, and my friend told me Asp was dangerous. totally surprised me.. i expected it to be better than that...

Conditions from first chair until about 2pm were almost spring like not a bit of ice anywhere was beautiful. Than at about 3 4ish everything started hardening up and it got icy. You really can't expect anything else when its a nice mid to upper 30 degree day that drops below freezing in the late afternoon.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

i had a lot of fun from opening until about 3, went in to eat after and it was getting icy when we came out. but thats expectable when it softens up during then day and the temp drops back down at night

the parks were fun. mini park was cool to mess around in and the bigger park could use some work but i liked the first 2 jumps and the down double barrel especially. the 3rd jump needs redone, it needs a bigger takeoff and a steeper landing. didnt hit the 4th because the down rail was so nice.

i had a lot of fun from opening until about 3, went in to eat after and it was getting icy when we came out. but thats expectable when it softens up during then day and the temp drops back down at night

the parks were fun. mini park was cool to mess around in and the bigger park could use some work but i liked the first 2 jumps and the down double barrel especially. the 3rd jump needs redone, it needs a bigger takeoff and a steeper landing. didnt hit the 4th because the down rail was so nice.

IT was really icy at night. What was up with the 2 quad lifts being closed too ? Ive never seen both of them closed. :angry:

They took 80% of the features out last tuesday for snowmaking and should be rebuilding the big park before this weekend.

IT was really icy at night. What was up with the 2 quad lifts being closed too ? Ive never seen both of them closed. :angry:

Only one quad closed at noon the Sullivan because of a rollback issue and a replacement part that needed to be ordered so it couldn't reopen. They ran the baily to service the sullivan side of the mountain for the rest of the day. The Stevenson was open all day until closing and there were practicly no lines.

And again anyone that expects anything other than ice when you had a near 40 degree beautiful day and than a below freezing evening needs to go back to school.

Edited by DiMeThIcOnE

They took 80% of the features out last tuesday for snowmaking and should be rebuilding the big park before this weekend.

yeah thats understandable. it was slightly dissapointing but it was fun for what they had. fresh parks are a good thing we just got unlucky yesterday.

And again anyone that expects anything other than ice when you had a near 40 degree beautiful day and than a below freezing evening needs to go back to school.

Um, it took freezing rain for Bear Creek on Tuesday to be anywhere near as icy as Camelback was Monday. And BC was likely 2-3 degrees warmer than Camelback Monday.. there's plenty of reasons for ice other than warm weather... the ice was there BEFORE sundown.

Edited by HouseMuzik

the temp dropped before sundown too. when it gets slushy during the day and the temps are supposed to drop anywhere around freezing the snow is going to ice over. and as for bear creek, it didnt get icy yesterday because it didnt get warm enough for it to melt the snow on top.

the temp dropped before sundown too. when it gets slushy during the day and the temps are supposed to drop anywhere around freezing the snow is going to ice over. and as for bear creek, it didnt get icy yesterday because it didnt get warm enough for it to melt the snow on top.

But my point was a lot of the icy was that ridgy shit. That comes from being compressed by the groomer trucks... it was on a lot of the trails.. all the snow was off the top of it leaving essentially just ice. That had nothing to do with freeze/refreeze from the warmer weather. :)

But my point was a lot of the icy was that ridgy shit. That comes from being compressed by the groomer trucks... it was on a lot of the trails.. all the snow was off the top of it leaving essentially just ice. That had nothing to do with freeze/refreeze from the warmer weather. :)

What time did you go? If you were there a few hours after opening, then that is probably why there was so much ice. Places that get crowded, like CB, don't take long for the snow to be scraped and become icy.