Utah week

volklyokel

Just a forewarning that starting the 20th (inauguration day, or as I'm calling it ignore-uration day) I'll be riding Wasatch trails. Nice to be back on PSAR having not been very active for a while. Last year's move to the DC area has taken me further from my favorite southern PA hills. This year, like last, I may only have the skiing I do out here in Utah as my only ski days.

Anyway, since I have family out here, we're heading to Hardware Ranch today for a sleigh ride and a good look at the local elk. Tomorrow is another family day and then once everyone heads to work, then I'll hit the slopes (can you imagine living in Utah and NOT skiing - well, that's my family). Here's the plan:

1/20 - Solitude (perfect place for inauguration day)

1/21 - Brighton

1/22 - Deer Valley (the Sundance Festival is in full swing, so I'll keep an eye out for celeb skiers)

1/23 - Snowbasin

1/26 - Snowbird

I return to the east on 1/27. I'll be a sore puppy, having not had any ski time up to this point in the season.

Weather is mostly clear, hazy in the SLC valley. No significant snow in the forecast, nor has there been any for the last five days, so finding any untracked off-piste pow will take some creative cache snooping. It looks like its going to be a groomer kind of week, doggone it. Sometimes you hit it good, sometimes not. Bases are running between 60 and 85 inches. Temps near 30.

More Tuesday... with links to photos

Ugh. Anyone coming out here to start their ski season, better do tons of deep knee bends before coming out. I wish I had. I had one of my wimpiest starting days of my life (I guess being 53 gives me some wiggle room, but not much).

Anyway, Solitude was solitudinal on inauguration day. Which is great, room for everyone. Its all packed powder, everywhere. I hope for those coming out soon, this doggone omega block high pressure system moves its ass eastward or dissipates soon. There hasn't been any new snow in at least a week and there is a hint of a small amount (couple of inches) Thursday night and Friday.

Anyway, the weather was pristine which is a far cry from the code red inversion that the SLC valley endured all day. I have posted photos and rather than give individual links, here is a link to the main Utah 2009 folder. Six photos from Solitude. I'll be adding more as each day goes on. I am on track to keep to the schedule I gave in my opening post. I hope each day to be able to go further, longer, and faster. Just do it!

My kick ass run, today, was on Diamond Lane, which is always a good time. I got on every lift except the Summit lift (my desire was to get a look at Honeycomb, but my muscles rebelled and won). I doubt that Honeycomb is much fun, given the lack of new snow. Sol-Bright which is a nice cruise through the woods on a narrow trail, is closed because of mud on the north-facing slope.

The new high speed quads (Apex and Moonbeam Express) are very welcome, but I'm glad that the Summit and Powderhorn chairs are still doubles. The Sunshine lift remains a slow-moving triple. I'll bet the Sunshine lift might be next, if the econ doesn't hammer the resort. I can't imagine the Summit chair ever becoming a HS quad. The slopes that start from there couldn't handle that kind of flood of people.

More tomorrow, unless my muscles go into total shut-down mode. Thanks for the interest and I hope my photos help those making a visit soon.

Was at Brighton, yesterday and Deer Valley today. I've posted photos from each. Here is a repeat of the link. Tomorrow I'll step it up a little and head to Snowbasin. Forecast is for light snow overnight, but this system is coming from the west-southwest, so it will probably be wetter than the typical lake effect powder. At this point, anything will do. I've enjoyed the skiing but haven't been able to equal numbers of runs and vertical as I have in the past. A combination of not being in the best shape and, at the same time, trying to shake a case of bronchitis has held me back.

Last day was the best, as it often goes. Over the weekend the Wastach picked-up about two feet of new snow. The locals were crying for it, so it was a good thing to finally get it. I opted for a somewhat short day at Snowbird (this cold/bronchitis has kept me at about half of my normal daily skiing). It was a primo powder day with about 10" to glide through practically everywhere.

Anyway, for anyone who has followed this thread, I hope it has whetted your appetite. It sounds like there are a sequence of storms lining up to come into the Wastach Front over the next week, so if you're planning a trip out, you should have some really good powder conditions out here.

Cheers everyone - I see that Doug has made his pilgrimage to Jackson. Hope he's having a good time. B)

John - AKA V.Y.