Leading the way again

trimreaper

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Man, I wish I could cue the voice of the PA annoucer from the Jordan-era Bulls for this one. So, use your imagination...

Because Thanksgiving seems like a lifetime ago, The Camel and I thought we'd take this opportunity to remind you just how significant this season has been -- and we ain't talking nothin', but what really, really matters most to skiers and riders.

Right now, Camelback is poised to hang a banner - you know - like after a championship season. Camelback is just days away from posting a legitimate record that has truly been nearly a half-century in the making:

LONGEST SEASON EVER.

By the end of next week, Camelback should record its 123rd day of operation for the 2008-2009 season--surpassing a mark that has stood for almost two decades. To get back to the third longest season, we'd have to go back to the Carter Administration; heck, that's almost as long as Bill Toye and his marauding gang of master snowmakers have been commanding the snowguns and plummeting the hill with the white and fluffy kindness.

Not to overwhelm you with numbers, but here's one more stat to throw into your fantasy-league...if all things continue as planned, this season will become the tenth season in our history that has stretched into April.

You can do the math yourself...if you were a passholder, that's about the cost of a double-skinny latte per day -- not too shabby, particulary these days. If you weren't a passholder, maybe you want to think about giving up the caramel macchiato, start brewing your own coffee again and get in on enjoying 120+ days of skiing and riding. At four and change a day, that's some nice ROI.

It's about time they tried to extend their season. You notice that it's a 50 year record for number of days, but only a 20 year record getting into April. Gee, was that round about the time that Sam Newman took over?

It took new management to get back to having longer seasons, I guess.

Edited by sibhusky